• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

takin kids out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ninna6483

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? mn
I have three boys 7 5 and 3 I moved out of state last febuary and left my kids with their dad so my oldest could finish school and to get things settled and now i am ready to get my kids and my ex says i can only have them for the summer and he wants them for the school year we were never married what happens if i keep them here and not send them back will there be problems kidnappin charges there has never been any court hearings on custody as far as i am aware of i have full custody the boys were just with him on a temperly basis
can I take my kids out of state witout his permission
now the boys have always lived in mn and were born there is there gonna be problems with residencey? and school issues
what do i need to do
if u can help me with this case i would really appericate it
thanks

Just Blue

I have three boys 7 5 and 3 I moved out of state last febuary and left my kids with their dad so my oldest could finish school and to get things settled and now i am ready to get my kids and my ex says i can only have them for the summer and he wants them for the school year we were never married what happens if i keep them here and not send them back will there be problems kidnappin charges there has never been any court hearings on custody as far as i am aware of i have full custody the boys were just with him on a temperly basis
now the boys have always lived in mn and were born there is there gonna be problems with residencey? and school issues
what do i need to do
thanks

You need to go to MN and get permission from the courts to move the children and supply a long distance visitation plan. You can't just move the children away from their father without his permission or the courts authorization.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
what do i need to do
thanks
You can move the children out of school since there are no court orders. HOWEVER be prepared for dad to file for custody and prevent the move of the children. Also be prepared for dad to win custody of the children.

kimberlywrites

I see posts like this alot and get confused, so please educate me, seniors. She is not married to the father - does that mean she is automatically sole guardian?
If dad signs the birth certificate, but they are not married - does it mean anything?
The father can file for custody, but first he has to prove he's dad, doesn't he? Does that mean a DNA test, or is a signed birth certificate enough proof?

LdiJ

I see posts like this alot and get confused, so please educate me, seniors. She is not married to the father - does that mean she is automatically sole guardian?
If dad signs the birth certificate, but they are not married - does it mean anything?
The father can file for custody, but first he has to prove he's dad, doesn't he? Does that mean a DNA test, or is a signed birth certificate enough proof?
It depends on the state, and the judge. For example, in my state judges routinely order DNA tests in an unwed situation, even if dad already signed the AOP at the hospital. However other judges, in other states, might just automatically accept the AOP as proof of paternity.

However yes, with a few states as exceptions, in an unwed situation the mother automatically has custody, by default, until a judge rules otherwise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">