• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

taking away visitation or parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Ladyjoker72

I live in Utah, I would like to know how I can go about taking away visitation or parental rights from my sons father. My son is almost 12 and barely knows his biological father. He (his father) has been in out and of prison for drugs for the majority of his life. Every time he does get out of prison I try to let them start a relationship again. He (his father) always ends up going back to prison or jail within 2-3 months from his release.
My son has had a really hard time dealing with this, I have taken him to counselors to help him deal with the pain, but every time he hears from his biological father he reverts back into this sad little boy. Who thinks that this is all his fault.
My husband now would love to adopt him but I know that getting his biological fathers permission would be a battle. Please help.

A

Ashlee1443

North Carolina

I'm not a lawyer, but I can relate in several ways. My son's dad lives 5 minutes away, and has no part in our child's life whatsoever. Being that you have someone in your life that would be willing to adopt your son, and due to your son's dad's track record (drug involvement, prison, etc.), I'd advise you to petition for termination of rights, and possibly have your son adopted by your current husband. This would mostly be in your favor...it's difficult to have a parental rights terminated without there being someone stepping in to adopt...which you have. I say go for it, and good luck...hopefully this will provide a happier,healthier, more stable future for your son.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">