• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking child out of the country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

izza

What is the name of your state? Washington

My ex-girlfriend and I have a 9-yr old daughter together. She has sole custody of her, but we have a parenting plan in place stipulating when my visitations are and vacation schedules during the school year. During this past school year, she has repeatedly taken my daughter out of the country without notifying me - I find out from my daughter and from contact with the school as my daughter has been taken out of school for some of these trips, and they have cut into my vacation time as well. Isn't it illegal to take the child out of the country without the other parent's consent, especially if these trips are not business related? She is visiting her boyfriend who is in the army stationed in Germany. If this is true, somehow I need to know how my ex is getting around this and what I can do to stop it. We do not get along and I am not allowed to contact her, except to file charges through the court system. What can I do??

mrsbrown

I think you would have to have proof of these violations. I am not sure if the school records would be enough. When a child travels out of country is there any record? Passport records? I am not sure...just some ideas on how to prove she is in contempt of court.

LdiJ

izza said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

My ex-girlfriend and I have a 9-yr old daughter together. She has sole custody of her, but we have a parenting plan in place stipulating when my visitations are and vacation schedules during the school year. During this past school year, she has repeatedly taken my daughter out of the country without notifying me - I find out from my daughter and from contact with the school as my daughter has been taken out of school for some of these trips, and they have cut into my vacation time as well. Isn't it illegal to take the child out of the country without the other parent's consent, especially if these trips are not business related? She is visiting her boyfriend who is in the army stationed in Germany. If this is true, somehow I need to know how my ex is getting around this and what I can do to stop it. We do not get along and I am not allowed to contact her, except to file charges through the court system. What can I do??
Well...obviously she has a passport for the child. No, once the child has a passport its not illegal for her to take vacations with the child outside of the country. It would be illegal for her to remove the child from the country permanently, but not to take vacations. Either you gave permission for her to obtain a passport for the child, or the fact that she has sole custody allowed her to get the passport without your permission.

Its also not illegal for the child to miss some school for those vacations...as long as the school is willing to work with her.

However, if she is interfering with your visitation, above and beyond normal amounts of vacation time...then you can take her to court for contempt on that issue.

Getting to visit Europe is a pretty cool thing for a child. Are you sure that you want to attempt to make an issue out of this? Unless it is seriously interfering with your visitation or seriously interfering with your child's education, then I would suggest appreciating the fact that your child is getting this experience.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">