• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking someone else's child out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Osin

What is the name of your state (Louisiana)?

My finance (Makala) and I have a child together, We are both under 18.
I have done a dna test and I am the biological father,
But not yet put my name on the Birth certificate.
I am 16 as well is Makala.
Her parents want to move out of state because they do not want me around to "punish" me and and Makala but the truth be known they wanna claim my son as there own damn kid. And hate the fact that the whole damn world don't revolve around them.

Questions-
1. Do I have rights now that I have gotten the DNA results back?
(Not relevant)

2. Can her parents take Makala and our son out of state against myn and Makalas will?

Please no biased or none knowledgeable answers please

Isis1

Being a minor, your girlfriend has to go where her parents tell her. It's tge law. Nothing you can do about that.

However! There is something you can do about your child. You can file to establish paternity. You can file for custody and a visitation schedule. You can file to restrict the child to be kept in the same county. If grandparent's leave with girlfriend, than you can request the child be tranferred to your cAre. Either way, you need to get your self employed immediately.

Proserpina

Her parents want to move out of state because they do not want me around to "punish" me and and Makala but the truth be known they wanna claim my son as there own damn kid. And hate the fact that the whole damn world don't revolve around them.

Questions-
(Not relevant)

2. Can her parents take Makala and our son out of state against myn and Makalas will?

You cannot choose who answers your post. Let's get that out of the way.

Makala's parents can indeed move her out of state.

You have no rights to the child until you establish those rights in court; you need to be legally established as father and then file to establish some sort of custody and visitation, as well as child support.

Usually the court wants both parents to be involved and there are generally laws dictating when and how a parent can relocate the child out of state; however in this case because you're both minors I can't see a court disagreeing with the move since neither one of you can support the child by yourself.

You may need to speak with an attorney to make sure your rights aren't trampled.

Antigone*

Questions-
(Not relevant)

If you have filed and signed an affadavit of paternity then you have been legally named the child's father. If not, then until such time as that happens Makala's parents can take her anywhere they choose.

Proserpina

Being a minor, your girlfriend has to go where her parents tell her. It's tge law. Nothing you can do about that.

However! There is something you can do about your child. You can file to establish paternity. You can file for custody and a visitation schedule. You can file to restrict the child to be kept in the same county. If grandparent's leave with girlfriend, than you can request the child be tranferred to your cAre. Either way, you need to get your self employed immediately.

Honestly, I can't see that happening.

With that said....in a couple of years Makala can move wherever the hecks she wants, including back to where OP resides.

LdiJ

Questions-
(Not relevant)

To be honest, odds are that the maternal grandparents will be able to relocate both Makala and the child out of state against your will. I know that's not what you want to hear, but that's my guess.

They absolutely can relocate Makala. She is a minor and is under their custody and control until she becomes a legal adult.

If your parents are willing to help you get a good attorney, you can fight to try to prevent them from relocating the child, but not Makala.

No, the DNA test alone doesn't give you any rights. A court order establishing your paternity gives you the right to file for custody/visitation rights. Until a court gives you rights, you have none.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">