• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teen daughter wants to live with dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PAmomof4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida has jurisdiction.

Our divorce was filed in FL. I now live in another state. My daughter (13) is expressing an interest in living with her father. She does not like the rules we have, typical teenager type, doesn't want to do chores, I won't let her go out on school nights, etc.

Her father was recently fired from work for misappropriation of funds. He has taken me to court several times trying to get custody by lying about me abusing her, being a drug addict, etc., but of course failed. Now, he lives in a camper, God only knows where, in KY, working for his brother. She is supposed to visit him for the summer, but she will have no room of her own, no personal space, etc.

I'm wondering if she gets there and wants to stay, what are the chances that a court will let her? We have shared parental responsibility according to law. I have had custody of her since 2004, am remarried, a stay at home mom of four (two from this marriage), and we have maintained a stable home during the entire time.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What teenager likes rules? :p

Without a significant change in circumstances for the child, Dad is blowing smoke. And while a judge may take a teen's preferences into consideration, I don't see it happening here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">