• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teenager Clothes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

penelope10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Hi gang--just having a small problem with Dad again and wanted to get your opinions.

Lil Bit goes and visits her Dad on Tue. and Thur and every other weekend. She brings from my house any clothes that she needs, plus what little makeup she wears, her flat iron etc. My house is on the way to school, so in the mornings during the week she drops her things off at my house.

Dad gives her an allowance which she is putting aside for college.

Dad has now informed her that going by my house is too big a hassle. (It's not even 1 minute out of the way). He wants her to buy clothes and makeup to keep at his home with the allowance he gives her. She has told me that she sees no reason why she needs to have double stuff at both homes. Plus if she forgets something she just does without while she is at Dad's.

The clothes go to his house clean, and if anything gets dirty that is needed, then she does her own laundry there. She also washes the clothes she brings back here.

Do you think that she is being out of line?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No, she's not being out of line. She can just do without at dad's. She does it when she forgets stuff anyway...

penelope10

No, she's not being out of line. She can just do without at dad's. She does it when she forgets stuff anyway...
Thanks, I'm staying out of it and letting her handle this on her own. I don't think she is being unreasonable, but just wanted to make sure.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks, I'm staying out of it and letting her handle this on her own. I don't think she is being unreasonable, but just wanted to make sure.
HOWEVER - dad is free to discontinue the allowance, or deduct from it, as he sees fit. There are two sides to every coin

TinkerBelleLuvr

Can she store her "suitcase" in the principal's office so that she can still cart back and forth? I can't imagine she is the first child in this predicament.

penelope10

Can she store her "suitcase" in the principal's office so that she can still cart back and forth? I can't imagine she is the first child in this predicament.
Well, I think for her at 14 this might be embarrassing. And at Middle School I doubt the principal would want to be responsible should something happen to her things. Plus her locker is pretty small.

My house is on the same road that the school is on. It's three blocks before the school. My house is only four houses from the end of the block. She literally opens the door and sets her things in and then runs back to the car. She keeps pjs at his house so those don't travel back and forth. Dad spends literally thirty seconds in front of my house.

sipa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Hi gang--just having a small problem with Dad again and wanted to get your opinions.

Lil Bit goes and visits her Dad on Tue. and Thur and every other weekend. She brings from my house any clothes that she needs, plus what little makeup she wears, her flat iron etc. My house is on the way to school, so in the mornings during the week she drops her things off at my house.

Dad gives her an allowance which she is putting aside for college.

Dad has now informed her that going by my house is too big a hassle. (It's not even 1 minute out of the way). He wants her to buy clothes and makeup to keep at his home with the allowance he gives her. She has told me that she sees no reason why she needs to have double stuff at both homes. Plus if she forgets something she just does without while she is at Dad's.

The clothes go to his house clean, and if anything gets dirty that is needed, then she does her own laundry there. She also washes the clothes she brings back here.

Do you think that she is being out of line?
Shaking head and blinking eyes*****. People are so petty I swear.

I think it is too funny he wants her to take her allowance that she, a responsible child is saving for college to buy clothes and stuff for his house. How absurd is that?

Money now money later. I am trying to articulate this correctly and having a hard time.

My thought would be that he is giving her money now that she is saving for college, and could buy her clothes if this is such an inconvience for him.

Or she can spend the money she has saved on clothes now and he will probably help her later when she is in college anyway.

What sense does this make if not to just upset the kids balance.

Let her handle it, she sounds like a wonderful responsible teenager and my allowance is on her!

TinkerBelleLuvr

Why not have duplicates of certain things like hair straighteners, curlers, etc. at dad's. Then she is really down to just an outfit. Those can fit in a backpack. My children have learned to pack light these days. :D:D

sipa

Why not have duplicates of certain things like hair straighteners, curlers, etc. at dad's. Then she is really down to just an outfit. Those can fit in a backpack. My children have learned to pack light these days. :D:D
Yeah well if you have teenagers you will know packing light is an easy thing to do between Hollister, Aeropastal, American Eagle. They give light a new meaning the shirts are as thin as paper, if she folds it correctly she could smuggle it in in her back pocket.

Isn't school almost over anyway, how does this all work for summer?

I have to say YOU are way nicer then me, he should be grateful. I got so tired of having to run around the corner everytime there was a piece of clothing needed to get it from my ex, or packing them for three days a week and getting everything back dirty, I told him he had two weeks to get them clothes because I was not sending mine anymore.

Now he has his own....and he pays for them and so will your ex one way or another!:D

penelope10

Can the daughter WALK the 3 blocks to school if she were dropped off at your house?
Yes she certainly could, nor would I have a problem taking her to school when she was dropped off. I am starting a new job in two weeks. My hours will be11 a.m. until 8 p.m.The office is literally five minutes from my house, so during my lunch hour I will be going home and having dinner with her.:)

Thanks for the suggestion Tink. I'll run it by Lil Bit and see what she thinks.

Could save on a lot of drama.

Lil Bit is a pretty independent little soul. She says that she can't wait until she can get a job and start making some of her own money to save. Right now she babysits etc to get additional money. She's a great kiddo.

penelope10

Yeah well if you have teenagers you will know packing light is an easy thing to do between Hollister, Aeropastal, American Eagle. They give light a new meaning the shirts are as thin as paper, if she folds it correctly she could smuggle it in in her back pocket.

Isn't school almost over anyway, how does this all work for summer?

I have to say YOU are way nicer then me, he should be grateful. I got so tired of having to run around the corner everytime there was a piece of clothing needed to get it from my ex, or packing them for three days a week and getting everything back dirty, I told him he had two weeks to get them clothes because I was not sending mine anymore.

Now he has his own....and he pays for them and so will your ex one way or another!:D
LOL Lil Bit shops at Dehlia's and Forever XXI. The clothes are a lot less expensive and equally as cute. She's still growing so some stuff quits fitting pretty fast. Right now she's 5'5, and built like a beanpole. The doc predicts she'll be around 5'8 or 5'9. Her Dad suggested that she model, but she has no interest. She said she thinks the lifestyle doesn't fit into her plans. Looks for her don't define a person's value.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Yes she certainly could, nor would I have a problem taking her to school when she was dropped off. I am starting a new job in two weeks. My hours will be11 a.m. until 8 p.m.The office is literally five minutes from my house, so during my lunch hour I will be going home and having dinner with her.:)

Thanks for the suggestion Tink. I'll run it by Lil Bit and see what she thinks.

Could save on a lot of drama.

Lil Bit is a pretty independent little soul. She says that she can't wait until she can get a job and start making some of her own money to save. Right now she babysits etc to get additional money. She's a great kiddo.
The mini skirt that I took out of the dryer this morning was, well, the size of a SMALL napkin. Geez. I know about drama.

Miss Drama Queen was sooooo upset because for their end of the year trip, she wasn't with her BFF and her mom, but in another group. It's like the end of the world. Oh, the tears and voice. I had a hard time not laughing.

Antigone*

LOL Lil Bit shops at Dehlia's and Forever XXI. The clothes are a lot less expensive and equally as cute. She's still growing so some stuff quits fitting pretty fast. Right now she's 5'5, and built like a beanpole. The doc predicts she'll be around 5'8 or 5'9. Her Dad suggested that she model, but she has no interest. She said she thinks the lifestyle doesn't fit into her plans. Looks for her don't define a person's value.
You know my kiddo used to be happy with WalMart and Target. I'm not sure what the heck happened. Do you think it has anything to do with her turning 10:eek:.

Penelope, get her some extra clothes to keep at dad's. You're Lil Bit should never have to use her allowance that way. Dad is a dork to even think that way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">