+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    oatmealcremepie Guest

    Question Teenager wants to live with non-custodial parent..

    What is the name of your state? Ohio

    Hi, I'm 16 years old. My parents have been divorced for almost 4 years now. I am currently living with my father and step-mother in Ohio. When my parents got divorced they settled out of court and my father kept custody of us because he threatened my mother (with suing for money, I think I am not exact but he is a very intimidating person). So, she agreed and let him keep custody of me and my younger brother. She hadn't had a permanent job at the time, going through a painful divorce, moving, so everything was pretty high stressed I could understand how it would've been easier for us to stay with our father.
    If I would have had choice though I would have stayed with my mom. Now for the next year our father told us a lot of lies and propaganda about my mother. When I visited mom she would talk about dad but I'd ask her politely to stop and she would. Dad never stopped though. So, for the past four years I've been hearing all this bs about her that I don't need to hear. It gets worse because his new wife my step-mother goes off about mymother too. Who she has only speaked to 3 times, 2 on the phone once in person. My mom also remarried but my step-father is more than willing to be apart of my life(unlike my father has been) he treats me kinder and with more respect and gives me dignity. He didn't force a relationship he let it come over two years. Unlike my step-mother who's been forcing and very nasty towards me and my brother because we are not her sons.
    The environment at my father's home is not the best for me. I feel I am better off with my mom because I am a young lady and I need my mother. We share a lot of the same interests.

    My mom doesn't want child support from my father if he just agrees to come and let me live there.
    Myself and my mom do not want to go through a grueling court battle but my dad refuses to cooperate with any papers and signing anything. My mom also resides in Pennsylvania now. I'd like to be able to move there in a month if possible.
    Please please please I am begging for help.
    I don't know what to do and fighting here amongst families is insane and I want out. What legal steps can we take to get this all over with and switch custody over. Any suggestions and comment please give.
    Thank you very much.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    If your dad refuses to agree to this, then your mom has no choice but to go through a custody modification in the courts to try and get custody.

    And there is no WAY it will be over and done with in a month. (You stated you wanted to be able to move there in a month.)

    It can be a long, drawn out, ugly process. Your mom is going to need an attorney if she wishes to pursue this.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2002
    yep, BLCM's right...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    This is one of the saddest things I have read.

    My parents never talked bad about eachother. Some parents just don't understand that it really does affect their kids. Eventually like our poster it turns their children against them.

    Oatmeal, BLCM is correct. If your father is as intimidating as you say, it sounds like she is going to have an uphill battle. However, you are at an age where your wishes can be heard by a judge to help determine the change in custody.

    Good Luck!

  5. #5
    oatmealcremepie Guest
    Thanks for your input.
    It was much appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Daughter wants to live with non-custodial parent
    By TXMama in forum Child Custody & Visitation
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 07:46 AM
  2. Daughter wants to live with me instead of custodial parent, please help!
    By ozone1965 in forum Child Custody & Visitation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2008, 12:38 AM
  3. Can a teenager choose which parent to live with?
    By jellybellyjean in forum Child Custody & Visitation
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-01-2005, 01:35 PM
  4. Child wants to live with non custodial parent
    By stepmomof1 in forum Child Custody & Visitation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2001, 09:19 AM
  5. childs wish to live with non-custodial parent
    By dollar bill in forum Family Law Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2000, 10:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.