• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Temporary Child Custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mml24

What is the name of your state? California. My sister was in a physically and emotionally abusive relationship and walked out on her husband and three kids 5.5 years ago. My parents took my nieces in and have been raising them for the past 5.5 years. Their father has been in and out of jail for the past 5.5 years, but is currently out and doing okay. During his time in jail he would write to the girls and send them birthday cards and occasionally call them. He has told my mother that he does not want the girls to live with him, because he "can't take care of himself let alone three kids." So my parents have allowed my nieces to stay the weekend with him and visit whenever he wants them to. He is now living with another woman who has three kids of her own. The last time my nieces came back from a weekend visist with him they were crying to my parents and saying he was very mean to them and he hit his new girlfriend in front of them. My parents were upset and told him that they are not going to allow the girls to go over if he continues to behave that way.
My sister (their mother) finally called the family last week (Oct. 6, 2002) and came to visit for the first time this weekend (Oct 11-13). She wants to be back in her kid's lives and gain their trust and love. She has asked for forgiveness and said she is very sorry and will spend the rest of her life making things up to them.
Neither my sister, nor her husband, want custody of the children at this point. They both say they are not fit to take them in. They both want my parents to continue to raise their kids. My sister wants to award my parents temporary custody until she can get a job and better herself to take them back. I of course am not a lawyer and do not know anything about child custody. Question is, Can I draft a letter stating that my sister is awarding my parents temporary custody? If so, what needs to be in the letter and does her husband need to agree to it? If I cannot draft a letter, what are the steps that we can take for my parents to get temporary custody of the kids until one of their parents are ready and willing to take them in?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">