• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Temporary custody expire?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

starshine79

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

i was bombarded and forced into a custody hearing without a lawyer and my ex was given temporary custody pending another court date that was 2 years ago.. because of having to move back louisiana i lost my good paying job and have not been able to afford to take him back to court and he has never taken me back to court to finalize anything.. is there an expiration date where his temporary custody is invalid and i can get my son back or is it to late? legal aid tells me they have a overload of cases and im not priority.. What is the best thing for me to do?

Antigone*

i was bombarded and forced into a custody hearing without a lawyer and my ex was given temporary custody pending another court date that was 2 years ago.. because of having to move back louisiana i lost my good paying job and have not been able to afford to take him back to court and he has never taken me back to court to finalize anything.. is there an expiration date where his temporary custody is invalid and i can get my son back or is it to late? legal aid tells me they have a overload of cases and im not priority.. What is the best thing for me to do?
Do you regularly see your children?

I suggest you get an attorney.

mistoffolees

Read your court order. It will tell you if temporary custody is time-limited.

In general, though, 'temporary' means 'until we have a final order'. So if you don't have a final order, the temporary custody order remains in effect.

However, it probably doesn't matter. After 2 years, there is a solid status quo in place. The court is not likely to change it without a very strong reason.

Antigone*

Read your court order. It will tell you if temporary custody is time-limited.

In general, though, 'temporary' means 'until we have a final order'. So if you don't have a final order, the temporary custody order remains in effect.

However, it probably doesn't matter. After 2 years, there is a solid status quo in place. The court is not likely to change it without a very strong reason.
I'd even go as far as saying there would probably have to be a change in circumstance for the children for there even to be a consideration.

starshine79

Its one child and yea i get him everyother weekend when his father feels like it. there are times i go 3 or 4 weeks without seeing him. i guess ill just have to get a second job to get a lawyer.

"I'd even go as far as saying there would probably have to be a change in circumstance for the children for there even to be a consideration." well there was no change in circumstance when he was ripped from my arms crying after spending 4 years of his life living with me and his father only coming around when he wanted to control something... sorry didnt mean to vent.. the court system in this parish is just so twisted and corrupt.. i was given only 2 week notice before the court date and had to stand there with no lawyer and not knowing any of my rights and was attacked on the stand by his lawyer who was also the assistant district attorney....

Silverplum

Its one child and yea i get him everyother weekend when his father feels like it. there are times i go 3 or 4 weeks without seeing him.
DO you have a court-ordered schedule to see your child?

If not, you can file for that yourself.

starshine79 said:
i guess ill just have to get a second job to get a lawyer.
Yes, many of us and tons of other people have done just that. :)

starshine79 said:
"I'd even go as far as saying there would probably have to be a change in circumstance for the children for there even to be a consideration." well there was no change in circumstance when he was ripped from my arms crying after spending 4 years of his life living with me and his father only coming around when he wanted to control something... sorry didnt mean to vent..
I don't know what to tell you except that the past is in the past. Now it's time to act, and the best way to do that is to just move forward. The last court order officially rules today.

starshine79 said:
the court system in this parish is just so twisted and corrupt.. i was given only 2 week notice before the court date and had to stand there with no lawyer and not knowing any of my rights and was attacked on the stand by his lawyer who was also the assistant district attorney....
Please see my comment just before this one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">