• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Temporary Custody to grandparents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tracymw

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I am trying to help a friend! I need some advice. She is 26 years old and was dating my cousin. They have a 3 year old son. They were never married so therefore the child was never legitimized. They broke up about a year ago and she went to live with her mother and father. Her mom and her never got along very well. Anyways, to make a long story short she and my cousin started dating again. She got pregnant and thought it over long and hard and decided to have an abortion. This set her mom off. So her mom went and filed temporary custody papers (for her 3 year old) with an attorney because they knew she could not hire an attorney. Without even contacting my friend, they ordered temporary custody to the grandparents and served her papers at work. She sat down and talked to her mom and dad and they SCARED her so bad and told her if she didn't sign over temporary custody that at the hearing they would take the baby from all of them because she didn't have a place of her on and so on. She agreed to sign the papers and let them have temporary custody although she was supposed to see the child whenever she wanted and has not been able too. They would no longer let her stay there once they was granted temporary custody. So she came and stayed with me for awhile and her and my cousin now have their own place. Which is the childs biological mother and father. My question, how can she get custody of the child back. She has not got the money for an attorney. Could she just get an order typed up and see if the judge would sign it or would this have to go to court. It never went to court or a hearing to begin with. These people know that they have got her between a rock and a hard place because she does not have money. She is and always has been a great mother. Her parents just didn't like my cousin whom is the father. Your help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Last edited:

K

KCMR

You are saying it is a temporary order correct?

Tell your cousin or cousins cousin or whatever to go to the court house and file for a modification of the existing custody order.

She does not need an attorney to do this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">