• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Temporary Custody to Grandparents, I need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandyb1983

What is the name of your state? Texas

My 7 year old son is staying with my dad so that he can go to school. Me and my husband and 1 year old son are staying with my mother in law. My dad and I have already signed a power of attorney for him to go to school where he lives. Now I need to get him on his insurance, my dad was told that he will have to get legal custody, by a lawyer filling out the papers and a judge signing it. I need what legal custody means, and I can't afford to pay a private lawyer. I need to know what options there are.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Texas

My 7 year old son is staying with my dad so that he can go to school. Me and my husband and 1 year old son are staying with my mother in law. My dad and I have already signed a power of attorney for him to go to school where he lives. Now I need to get him on his insurance, my dad was told that he will have to get legal custody, by a lawyer filling out the papers and a judge signing it. I need what legal custody means, and I can't afford to pay a private lawyer. I need to know what options there are.
Why can't your son go to school where you are living? If you give your father legal custody, then if and when you want your child back, if your father says no, you will have to take it to court and fight a custody battle.

You also have the option of purchasing private medical insurance for your son. The cost for children is usually very reasonable.

mandyb1983

legal custody

Why can't your son go to school where you are living? If you give your father legal custody, then if and when you want your child back, if your father says no, you will have to take it to court and fight a custody battle.

You also have the option of purchasing private medical insurance for your son. The cost for children is usually very reasonable.

Because we are staying in a one bedroom with 3 adults and a 1 year old and there is no room for him and that way I know he is taken care of until we get another place

LdiJ

Because we are staying in a one bedroom with 3 adults and a 1 year old and there is no room for him and that way I know he is taken care of until we get another place
All I can say is that it could be a major mistake to give your father custody of your son.

CJane

No room for your child?

If you sign custody over to your father, or anyone else, you may not get to provide a home for him ever again.

mandyb1983

I understand that, but alot of the forms I was looking at for this have an experation date, for when the temporary custody ends. How can I find out about private insurance for him?

LdiJ

I understand that, but alot of the forms I was looking at for this have an experation date, for when the temporary custody ends. How can I find out about private insurance for him?
Google "health insurance". There are all kinds of sites where you can get quotes from multiple companies.

mandyb1983

and yes there is no room, my mother in law is in her bed room and me and my husband sleep on the sectonal in her living room and the baby is in his bed which takes up alot of the room. It is only a one bedroom.

Silverplum

and yes there is no room, my mother in law is in her bed room and me and my husband sleep on the sectonal in her living room and the baby is in his bed which takes up alot of the room. It is only a one bedroom.
Hon, you aren't even ready to own a dog.

mandyb1983

Hon, you aren't even ready to own a dog.
Yeah ok, for your information, if it wasn't for my husband not working or helping me at all I wouldn't have been in this postion. Yes I understand that we are in a desperate situation, but things happen and not everybody has parents who have lots of money, or have all this wonderful help, I have to work my way back up, and I have always put my kids before me. That is why he is staying with my dad right now so that he has less to worry about. You know nothing about me. Unless you have information about the reason I posted keep your comments to yourself

peppier

This forum is about child custody and almost every day someone posts about making a mistake at some time and losing custody of their childen and then it is hard to impossible to get them back and costs $1000s.

I understand why you might let your father take care of him now but your circumstances will change and you will want him back and if for some reason your father thinks he'd be better off staying with him, you'd be in for a court fight if you gave him custody.

If you are in such dire circumstances couldn't your children qualify for Medicaid?

mandyb1983

This forum is about child custody and almost every day someone posts about making a mistake at some time and losing custody of their childen and then it is hard to impossible to get them back and costs $1000s.

I understand why you might let your father take care of him now but your circumstances will change and you will want him back and if for some reason your father thinks he'd be better off staying with him, you'd be in for a court fight if you gave him custody.

If you are in such dire circumstances couldn't your children qualify for Medicaid?

Well we are looking into chip, he wouldn't qualify for medicaid, because my dad makes too much. I am trying to find any options, other than giving legal custody, because he is only going to be with him for this school year, and I know that my dad wouldn't screw me over, but you really don't know what anybody is capable of. I just know he needs some kind of insurance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You need your son with you. Then at least Medicaid may cover him. But to give legal custody to your father? THAT IS PERMANENT. You don't get to just change your mind on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">