• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

temporary custody vs emergency pick up order for a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jasmine rojas

What is the name of your state? Florida
Here is my problem. I let my child go visit his father in NY for the summer and
he is refusing to return him so he can start school here in Florida. I have and
emergency pick up motion from the state of Florida but the father has just
filed for custody and has temporary custody till the hearing. Can I go up to
New York and take my child back to Florida with this court order or does
the temporary custody order win out? If anyone has been in this situation please
let me know. my child was born in NY but has lived down here for over 2 years.

jasmine rojas

the pick up order was issued in florida where I have lived with my son and the father for 2
years.The father just recently moved back to NY in May. He filed for temp custody up there
but he is not a resident yet, I dont think he is. Can he file up there even though he has
not lived there for 6 months?

Rushia

jasmine rojas said:
the pick up order was issued in florida where I have lived with my son and the father for 2
years.The father just recently moved back to NY in May. He filed for temp custody up there
but he is not a resident yet, I dont think he is. Can he file up there even though he has
not lived there for 6 months?
Where was the ORIGINAL order from? If son was born in NY, did you file for support, visitation issues PRIOR to moving to FL?

jasmine rojas

No I moved down here with the father in 2004 from NY . I left him last year because
of personal reasons and lived with my son. We had no custody papers filed and we were
never married.

Gracie3787

jasmine rojas said:
No I moved down here with the father in 2004 from NY . I left him last year because
of personal reasons and lived with my son. We had no custody papers filed and we were
never married.
If custody was never court ordered, filing a pick up order in Florida isn't going to do any good. There isn't any case existing in which to base the motion on.

Did a COURT in NY issue a temporary custody order? If so, then you'll have to file any motions, etc. in NY because they have jurisdiction.

jasmine rojas

why would NY have jurisdiction if my child has lived in Florida for the last 2 years.
Also I have filed for custody down here and plan to serve him the papers asap. I have
not been served by the father. So does it matter who gets served first? I went up
to NY over the weekend and the father let me have my son overnight at my mothers.
I took my son the next day and flew down here to Florida and he is now living with
me and started school today. Am I right to think that the father cant come down here
and take my son away since he is in my custody right now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">