• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Temporary Guardianship vs. Sole Physical Custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

My family is relocating to North Carolina, my husband has a daughter from a previous relationship, and the mother is doing everything she can to make our life difficult. The mother took off to Florida when my stepdaughter was 7, to make a better life for herself is what she tells us. Now she calls and talks to my stepdaughter on the phone, and my stepdaughter says that her mother is her best friend.

We have had problems with my stepdaughter for the last year and a half, from running away to running up $200.00 phone bills after telling her to please be considerate and not do that, to lying to us about where she is going, and smoking, to talking to random people on the internet and giving out her personal information, lying about her age and so on. So with all of that, it now brings me to the current situation. She had said to us one night that she was going to go to the mall and then go sleep over a friends house. Well my husband found out that she had lied to us, because he uses software to see every conversation she has on the internet due to issues we have previously had with her. On this conversation she was talking with her grandmother (the mother's mother) about seeing her that night. Well my stepdaughter came home the next day and said that the friends parents had forgotten to pick them up so she called her grandmother. Well the long and the short of it is that she got caught and wasn't happy.

My husband had a conversation with her and gave her two choices, one was that she could stay here and follow the rules and she would be grounded for lying, or she could go an live with her mother. She decided that she was going to call the grandmother and stay there until she could get in contact with her mother. Well we let her go hoping that she would see what she had done and realize we are not bad people. Well that has not happened yet, my husband called her about a month ago and told her that she needed to decide who she was going to live with, her mother or us. She called her mother and her mother, who told us she has no money (went to court to pay only $20.00 in child support) got a flight up here and went to court to get an emergency temporary guardianship order for her mother. My questions are as follows:

How can she obtain an emergency order without notifying my husband? (he has still not been served to this day, and conveniently the courthouse has lost the folder)

If this is a temporary order, does my husband still have sole physical custody? (the mother and my husband signed an agreement when the mother left that he would have sole physical custody and joint legal custody)

Can we still take her out of state? (they were never married)

What kind of stories did she have to tell in order to obtain this emergency order?

Sorry for the long post, I just figured that I would give you a little bit of background. Thanks

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">