• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tennessee Custody laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kcs00

What is the name of your state? Tn was Ga

My Question is does anyone know the custody laws in TN. We myself, my husband and our child moved here from Ga and he has 3 children from a previous marriage, ages 12 11 and 11. The oldest told us that he wanted to live with us and we were preparing to start a hearing. Well we picked up the modification papers. Now the problem is we (he) doesnt know where to file. The children live in Ga, but the divorce was in Fl. Other than the children going to school in Ga is the only residence they have set up. So would we have to file in Fl or Ga? and also can we have an attorney in Tn?

T

tigger2two

first step is filing for a change of venue to get florida to sign off on the jurisdiction of the custody matter.

snostar

Since the children reside in GA that is where you will need to file, you are better off finding any attorney in GA.

BelizeBreeze

Georgia will indeed accept jurisdiction since 'home state' doctrine have effectively moved to that state. The rule is, in the original jurisdiction unless neither the children, or either parent continues to reside in the issuing jurisdiction. In this case, then it becomes the state where the children reside.

As for hiring an attorney in Tennessee, no. Unless the Tennessee attorney is licensed to practice in Georgia, you will need a georgia attorney.

kcs00

Thanks for the reply. Now the jurdidiction papers, can we pick them up from the courthouse? Is this something that we can file ourselves or do we need an attorney? I know it is best to have an attorney but we are planning to go back there next month and we wont have much time and we want to get as much done as possible.

BelizeBreeze

There are several attorneys in the Nashville and Chattanoga areas that have relationships with Georgia attorneys. Contact someone locally for a referral or contact the georgia state bar association for a referral.

If you intend to get an attorney, better from the beginning than in the middle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">