• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminate parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kevinesf

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
My ex girlfriend refuses to allow me any contact with my 7year old biological daughter. She refuse my child support also. How can I find out if she has filed to have my parental rights terminated. She has recently married and wants to change my daughter's last name from my to that of her new husband. This is my daughter can she do this and is there anyway I can stop her?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
My ex girlfriend refuses to allow me any contact with my 7year old biological daughter.
So have you established paternity? Do you have court orders for visitation/custody/support?

She refuse my child support also. How can I find out if she has filed to have my parental rights terminated.
Do you have any parental rights?

She has recently married and wants to change my daughter's last name from my to that of her new husband. This is my daughter can she do this and is there anyway I can stop her?
You can file to establish your rights.

kevinesf

Parental rights? We were together when she was born. I signed her birth certificate and shared the same address for the first 6 years of her life.

Established paternity? I signed her birth certificate. I have never taken a paternity test, she has always been my daughter. I don't feel it's necessay to take one now its a little late.

mistoffolees

Parental rights? We were together when she was born. I signed her birth certificate and shared the same address for the first 6 years of her life.

Established paternity? I signed her birth certificate. I have never taken a paternity test, she has always been my daughter. I don't feel it's necessay to take one now its a little late.
The problem is that since you chose to have a baby without the benefits of marriage, the father does not automatically get rights. Signing the birth certificate is a start, although you'd have to check to make sure that that's sufficient in your state. (If it's not, you need to see what is required to establish paternity at this late date).

After that, you have to file for custody and/or visitation with the courts. It would be nice if she let you visit the child without a court order, but that's apparently not going to happen, so go to court and get an order for visitation, at the very least. You might also be able to get joint legal custody.

You've had 7 years and never did that, so you may have an uphill battle. When was the last time you saw the child?

She can not simply terminate parental rights without you being notified. The more recently you've been in the child's life and paying child support, the harder that is. In most cases, it's almost impossible unless the new husband adopts - but, again, they'd have to notify you. Similarly, you would have a right to objecting to her changing the child's name.

Go to court to establish visitation. If Mom has tried to terminate parental rights or tried to have new hubby adopt, then she will bring that up - and you would challenge it for lack of service.

But, ultimately, it comes down to you getting up off your couch and taking action to establish and enforce your rights.

CSO286

The bolded means that you have standing to sue for rights, not thta you have any inherent ones.

"Ass"uming you signed the AOP/ROP/are on the BC, you may be established as the child's legal father, but the only right that gives to you is thye right to sue for parenting time and custody.

Does mom know where you live? You would have had to have been served paperwork if your parental rights had been terminated so her current husband could adopt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">