• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

termination of parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tnc002

What is the name of your state? NC:confused: help! my husband just found out that he has a 10 yr old son that he knew nothing about. he wants to petition the court for termination of his parental rights. does he need to obtain legal representation, or can he do it on his own and save alot of money? he does not want to have any contact with this child whatsoever. any suggestions?

thanks
tnc002

misslawli

Probably gonna need a lawyer. why is he so anxious to give up his son? Is sure the boy is his?? What ever he does he needs to get it done right away. Sorry I know, probably not real helpfull ,but I thought I would try. Hopefully some one who knows will be along shortly. Hope everything works out for your hubby. Just remember, blessings happen everyday, it's up to us to see what they are.

EDIT: It may be tough though. It isn't easy to term rights unless there is a stepfather ready to adopt. And if the mother has filed for any type of state aid, you can pretty much forget it. The states don't like making children fatherless. then the state has no one to go after for reimbursment of state aid, if the mom ever does recieve help.

Last edited:

Grace_Adler

He can't sign away his rights unless the mother agrees to it. If she agrees, then it will be a voluntary relinquishment of parental rights.

It is not always necessary for there to be a stepparent adopt in NC. This also does not go before a judge, it goes through the Clerk of Court.

As an attorney told me, it is not about making children fatherless, they don't care about that. It is often assumed that it is about making the children fatherless but it is really about the money. The state and court are scared to death that if someone's rights are terminated that the other parent won't be able to support them and the child will end up on state aid. I already knew that before the attorney told me because I think that's pretty obvious. It's always about the money. That's why they are scared to terminate the rights unless there is an adoption because at least then there will be someone to go after for the money if they should split up.

Right now your hands are tied unless the mother agrees to this. If she does, she will have to be the one to file for it. Yes, it can be done without an attorney. The papers to file can be picked up at the courthouse but if you can get an attorney, do it!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">