• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination of Parental Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlc614

HOw do I go about terminating parental rights in NY? My sons bio-"father" has not seen him nor supported him in over three years. He has called twice in that time. Once he called to ask to see my child I made arrangements to meet him in a public place but he called at 10:00pm the next day to say that he had left town again and would not be back for years. He also said that he was not ready to support the child yet. The cell number he had left on my answering machine the day he called is disconnected now. His mother sees my son one day everyother weekend but she states she hasn't heard from him and has no way to get a hold of him other than if he calls. Please help

jlc614

I forgot to mention that I am married and my son knows my husband as daddy...he does know he has a father somewhere though. My husband would like to adopt my son however.

L

lcollins

Hire an attorney to file for termination of parental rights, and to begin the steps of a step-parent adoption. I believe they will have to attempt to locate him in order to give him notice of the proceedings, if they cannot and they exhaust all methods, a judge may be inclined to proceed without his input, or presence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">