• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination Parental Rights...Grandparents rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Belize

What is the name of your state? CT

Okay. Had a child, age now is 5 years. Biological father willingly signed away rights at child age 2. Step-father adopted child, last name switched to Step-fathers. Now, 3 years later, the bio-dad's mother came to my house last week demanding to see the child. I refused, she bacame irrate & violent, I called the police and filed a restraining order. She had her daughter call me and tell me grandparent's have rights, too. I said that was fine, unfortunately, the child is no longer part of your family. She became irrate, so I called the police on her and filed a restraing order. Now the bio-father's dad calls, asks me to please listen, repeated that they have rights to the child, too. I responded with, well, it's been 3 years. Your son willingly signed his rights away. He said they would take me to court for Grandparents rights. I said 'go ahead. Your son signed his rights away. This child is no longer part of your family.'

1) Am I correct in saying this?
2) Can they take me to court and get Grandparent's rights to see the child?

K

krispenstpeter

They are no longer grandparents. They are legal strangers.

Tell them the next time they contact you that you will file a 'no-contact' complaint against them and if they contact you again they will be facing contempt charges.

You were right.

B

Belize

What is the name of your state? CT

Thanks for the quick reply! Love your location...LOL. :)
I knew I couldn't be wrong - it made no sense. Now, one more question - Is a restraining order the same thing as a no contact complaint? Because I currently have a restraining order on every one in the immediate family except the father. That's why they keep having him, or somone else call. If I get a restraining order on him, too, and then they have an aunt call me, is that a violation as well? Is there something I can send these people to prove they are legal strangers and to leave me alone?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

K

krispenstpeter

Just keep doing what you are. Eventually they will get the message. What you can do is send them a copy of the Termination order and tell them to read Troxel.

Then, inform them that if anyone from the family calls again, that call WILL be recorded.

B

Belize

Troxel vs. Granville? I will do exactly that. (just ran a browser search and printed it out...I'll read it over later.) I'll send that, a copy of the Termination order, as well as copies of the restraining orders. And I hope they do call...then it's playtime!
Thanks. Alot.

tigger22472

What is the name of your state?
Belize said:
Troxel vs. Granville? I will do exactly that. (just ran a browser search and printed it out...I'll read it over later.) I'll send that, a copy of the Termination order, as well as copies of the restraining orders. And I hope they do call...then it's playtime!
Thanks. Alot.

WAIT WAIT WAIT... don't send it to them....!!!! A RO means you aren't to contact them either. If YOU contact them then you are in violation and can make the RO null and void..

Simply put everytime they call OR have someone call FOR them they are in violation of the order. Take the order WITH proof of contact to the judge that issued the order and file contempt charges on them. If you'd like take the copy of Troxel and the TPR to the court and let the COURT show them to the grandparents. I'm in the middle of a step-parent adoption right now and if my ex's mom contacts trust me there will be hell to pay. Like yours mine hasn't talked to my kids in 4 years and has helped her son evade his obligations.

K

krispenstpeter

Tig is right and I should have been more specific. If the father is not covered by the RO and you still want to 'inform' them, then send HIM only the information Certified (RRR).

Or wait until court. Contacting the father will NOT void the RO with the other family members.

But it just might be a good idea to wait until court. Let them keep racking up violations.

tigger22472

krispenstpeter is right ... BUT.. and I want to clarify a little bit more for him. If you send the papers to BD DO NOT put in them.. "tell your family".. "show your family"... 'give to your family" NOTHING... don't even MENTION them what so ever. BUT.. if when they violate the order and contact you can say at that point.... "Go ask _______, he has copies of the order and of a court case proving you don't have any rights." HELL, tell them to look it up themselves... because they HAVE NO RIGHTS at all. Their son gave up rights and when he did that they all became LEGAL strangers to the child.

S

soldierswife

What is the name of your state? NC

I have a similiar question regarding grandparent's rights. Basically the same premise applies...ex mother-in-law demanding to see the child whom she hasn't had contact with in 2 years. The only difference...my ex-husband did not terminate all parental rights. He signed away visitation rights until he moves back to the States (2 years ago). I'm not sure if the same rules apply in my situation. Thanks for any insight.

K

krispenstpeter

And you will get an answer the moment you post your own thread and stop hijacking another thread.

S

soldierswife

What is the name of your state? nc

Sorry...didn't know that was improper. Will begin a new thread.

B

Belize

:) Thank you krispenst.peter and tigger.
I appreciate the time and effort you put into answering me. I won't send anything at all - I have a RO on the Bio dad as well. I will just continue to document every call, and I got this little recorder thing at radioshack last night. If and when they do take me to court, I'll produce every thing I've got. But, honestly, from what the two of you have told me, I don't think it can even get that far.

Thanks again!!! :)

tigger22472

It could make it that far, heck anyone can take anyone to court. It's a matter of if they'll win which these guys won't. The best way to get them to stop harrassing you is when they contact again.. show proof and go to the court house and have them at the VERY least bring the person in and remind them what happens when they violate the RO. It worked for me. My ex kept contacting after I got one on him. I couldn't ever prove it until like the 10th time. At that point I took my proof to the court. They put out a warrent for him, he got wind of it and turned himself in. They reminded him he was looking at 4 months and/or 4,000$. He left me alone after that :) . DO NOT let these people walk on you.

sroutlaw

Guys, I am sorry to disagree but this is a subject I have WAY too much knowledge on.
The Bio dad terminating his rights does NOT automatically end the grandparents "rights' to use a sickening term loosely.
The Supreme Court, in Troxel, dropped the ball on ending ALL third party visitation laws - so the battles are still being fought (and won OR lost) across the country.
In CT here is the state law:
http://www.parentsrights.com/ click on state at left
Any person threatened by SO CALLED grandparents for visitation would be well advised to visit parentsrights.org to read more about just how much Troxel HAS NOT changed visitation rights.

FYI stepparent adoption does not grant you, your family, or your child the same legal standing as other adoptions, in terms of third party visitation, in most states.

Sorry.

Steph

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">