• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination of Parential Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bls8195

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX for the child but I reside in IN

My soon to be ex wife wants me to voluntarily terminate my rights to our soon. What are my options here? Back story he is not my son in any way, I am on the birth certificate but that's it. She cheated on me and had a child with someone else. I was in his life for the first 8 months now he is 13 months old. I just know know what options I have it's all hard for me to deal with because I do love the child. He lives with her in Texas and I reside in Indiana. I appreciate any help.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX for the child but I reside in IN

My soon to be ex wife wants me to voluntarily terminate my rights to our soon. What are my options here? Back story he is not my son in any way, I am on the birth certificate but that's it. She cheated on me and had a child with someone else. I was in his life for the first 8 months now he is 13 months old. I just know know what options I have it's all hard for me to deal with because I do love the child. He lives with her in Texas and I reside in Indiana. I appreciate any help.
YOu willing to pay thousands in child support and not see him that often? If not, disestablish paternity during the divorce so that you are not on the hook and the actual biological father may have a chance.

bls8195

How should I go about it if the divorce has been filed already yet doesn't state anything pertaining to this matter?

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
How should I go about it if the divorce has been filed already yet doesn't state anything pertaining to this matter?
You need to get an attorney and do this as part of the divorce. It's not too late - get going with the phone book!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">