• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terrified

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pday

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

In June of 2007, my mother physically attacked me while stopped at a stop sign. Let me first say that she is not mentally stable. She came from a sexually abusive home and has had apprent issues ever since as one would expect. Her delusions and mistrust were the main cause of the end of my parents' 22 years of marriage.

As stated above, she attacked me over an argument about a car my husband and I were considering purchasing. She was taking me to work because I was having car problems and agreed to watch the kids for me since they were out for summer break. My children were in the backset (then ages 7 and 9) and I in the passenger's seat. We did not talk or see each other again until a year later when she called asking if my children could stay the night with her. I never returned her call. After several other calls, my stepfather called to ask if I would drop the kids off to swim and see their cousins. Reluctantly, I did but only because I know my children would like to see their cousins and I really care for my stepfather.

A week ago my mother showed up at my daugher's football game (she cheers) and caused a huge, embarrassing scene in front of my kids, husband, child's teammates, coaches, and other parents. It was horrible. She told me I would not keep the kids from her and that she would take me to court. I blew her off trying to stifle the argument and went home. I received a call from her threatening and bullying me saying I had one week to let them stay the night or else. I told her I didn't want her seeing the kids until she could prove she was stable and trustworthy, that harrssing us and embarrassing us was unreasonable. She refused to see that she was in the wrong and kept her threats of "or else". She said she wanted no relationship with me or my sister but insisted she see the kids. She also went on to say that I had attacked her the previous year out of nowhere. It is completely untrue. In fact, a co-worker of mine was stopped behind her car and witnessed the whole thing. When I ushered my screaming and crying children out of her car after the attack, we got into his so I could get a ride to work and call my husband to pick us up. I have pictures of the cuts and scratches from her. I'm terrified of what she'll do. She's very bitter and vindictive and will not stop at any length to come out on top. I've made it clear to my children that if she ever attempts to pick them up from school they should let the office workers know that they are not allowed to leave with her. She is not on the school pick up list but her maiden name and my sister's name are the same. Since my sister is on the pick up list, I'm afraid she'll attempt to use that to her advantage perhaps saying it was not changed since she was married. I don't know. I'm not afraid to go to court because I legitimatly feel that I am not wrong for being leery of my kids seeing her. Both my husband and I are in agreement that they are not safe with her. In fact, my nieces do not see her either because of other incidents with my sister, them, and my mother.

My question is can she legally get visitation rights with my kids? What say in it do my husband and I have as parents? She called me at work asking when I was bringing the kids by. I tried to be civil and tell her they were busy with football and cheerleading (which is true) but she only replied with "so you're not going to let them stay? That's all I needed to know." I've been shaking ever since.

Please give me whatever advice you think will be useful. I tried to get a restraining order to keep her away at least until my kids are finished with their sports so we can go to the football fields without fear but I was told I had to go through an attorney. I don't have the money for an attorney!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Grandparents have no inherent rights.

As you and your husband (the father of your children) are married, I believe you will be well within your rights to tell your mother to pound sand.

(If you want any advice further than that, you'll need to put some paragraphs in your post; just scanning it is how I arrived at an answer for you.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">