• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas - Infant visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CINDYW64

What is the name of your state? Texas
Is there a standard visitation schedule for fathers of infants in Texas. My son has an 8 month old. If so, at what age does it change?

§ 153.254. CHILD LESS THAN THREE YEARS OF AGE. (a) The
court shall render an order appropriate under the circumstances for
possession of a child less than three years of age.
(b) The court shall render a prospective order to take
effect on the child's third birthday, which presumptively will be
the standard possession order.

Added by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 20, § 1, eff. April 20, 1995.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/fa.toc.htm

Looks like its up to the court to determine.
Also look up standard possesion orders for distance between parents, less than 100 miles ans greater than 100 miles.

CINDYW64 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
Is there a standard visitation schedule for fathers of infants in Texas. My son has an 8 month old. If so, at what age does it change?
The Texas Standard Order of Possession has different things attorneys can choose from while writting it. Think of it as checking some boxes. I'll give you this example;

http://www.raggiolaw.com/stanposs.html

See, you go down the list and check what is applicable. As you read the family code Title 5 Chapters 150-161, you will notice that it addresses children under 3. That said, and while the courts do have the final say, typically what NCP gets is what we here in Texas call "the 6 to 6" schedule; and by the way, all these are options in the SOP.

Every Wed (except for summer) 6-8 pm.
Every 1st, 3rd and 5th weekends from Friday 6:00 pm to Sunday 6:00 pm.
Alternating Holidays as described in the code

After the child turns 3 this changes radically, more time is given. NCP however MUST specify the schedule after the child turns 3 or NCP will have to file to modify in order to get all the goodies that comes with that wonderful age. If not, then the 6 to 6 will continue to apply until there is a modification.

Save money, include everything this first time around. And as for the CP, it is their best interest too, because when someone decides to modify, EVERYONE pays.

Take a look at the schedule in the link I provided you. Once the child turns 3, You are going to find that NCP can pick up and drop off at school starting on Thursday and dropping off the child on Monday back to school. It makes a big difference.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">