• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas Law: Missed pick up time = forfeited visitation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonofabit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My wife's ex-husband has visitation rights this weekend, however they began at 6pm yesterday (Friday). It's now 2:30pm Saturday, and he now wants to pick up his child.

I looked through the divorce papers, and though it says he is required to pick the child up at the specified time, it does not say what happens if he doesn't. It specifically says his right to possession begins at 6:00pm that friday, ending the following Sunday at 6:00pm...

I interpret this to mean that as long as he picks up the child within that time, he has a legal right to possesion until the end of the period.

Is there anything in texas divorce law that would cause him to forfeit visitation rights if he misses his appointment to pick up the child?

Additionally, this Monday being a holiday, his possession is extended to Monday at 6:00pm. However, he wants to return the child tomorrow (Sunday) instead. Isn't he obligated to keep the child the full time, and make arrangements for the child's care if the mother is otherwise occupied (or hell, even if she isn't!)?

She has an appointment next week to review the divorce terms, we will make sure this is addressed, but what do we do this weekend? can she deny him visitation rights?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You get to do nothing. Mom can play whatever game she wants. Dad didn't forfeit anything unless the papers state he forfeited visitation. Apparently they don't. So he can pick up his child. Maybe he doesn't recall that this weekend is his holiday. And maybe MOM could cooperate with the man she chose as a father to her child.

sonofabit

I asked what the state law says. I don't plan to do anything, I want to know what HER options are.

I figured she would have to wait until the review, but I want to know if there is any LAW in place for this specific situation.

if you don't know, then just say so.

Last edited by a moderator:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Isn't it better for the child to spend SOME part of the time with his Dad than NONE of the time? At least that's how I look at it.

sonofabit

Isn't it better for the child to spend SOME part of the time with his Dad than NONE of the time? At least that's how I look at it.
agreed, agreed agreed, we don't have an issue with that at all...

but coming and going willy nilly against the specified times doesn't seem fair either. it'll definitely be amended on the review, but I'm curious what happens if we never addressed it, and how the courts handle similar situations if there is indeed no law on the books.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
agreed, agreed agreed, we don't have an issue with that at all...

but coming and going willy nilly against the specified times doesn't seem fair either. it'll definitely be amended on the review, but I'm curious what happens if we never addressed it, and how the courts handle similar situations if there is indeed no law on the books.
Mom can let Dad know where the child will be available for p/u, if she'll be elsewhere with the child, as well as where he should drop the child off if she isn't planning to be home. Or she can rearrange her plans. It really isn't rocket science.

And it doesn't matter if "you" address it or not. YOU have no dog in the fight. There is no "we" when it comes to their child.

csosa122000

The father should know his visitation times without having to call and make last minute arrangements. It is not fair to you or your wife to work around his schedule. If you all have a decent relationship and he had compensating factors like he lived a large distance away or his job requires him to work during designated visitation days then he needs to communicate that to you all in advance so it does not interfere with your schedule. If there are no compensating factors then he is indeed inconvieniencing you and per Texas law if a parent does not execute visitation from the primary care taker withing 30 min then he/she has forfitted the visitation. There are no excuses for not executing visitation unless there are special circumstances that have been conveyed to you and you all have agreed.

sonofabit

that's fine, I say we out of habit (been together 10 years). I've always let them work it out, but she asked me for advice and to review the divorce papers, and I'm wondering if I interpreted correctly.

it's easy enough to say "work it out" but what happens when that doesn't work? what does the law state happens when one party doesn't cooperate, is it not a legal issue at all but rather strictly civil?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I asked what the state law says. I don't plan to do anything, I want to know what HER options are.

I figured she would have to wait until the review, but I want to know if there is any LAW in place for this specific situation.

if you don't know, then just say so.
That would be a family law attorney and GAL you're addressing. So you may want to zip it and start learning.

If YOU don't plan to do anything, then quit with the "we" idiocy - there is no we. You don't matter at all in this situation. And send Mommy over to ask her own questions about her kid and her ex. You just step on back where you belong.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The father should know his visitation times without having to call and make last minute arrangements. It is not fair to you or your wife to work around his schedule. If you all have a decent relationship and he had compensating factors like he lived a large distance away or his job requires him to work during designated visitation days then he needs to communicate that to you all in advance so it does not interfere with your schedule. If there are no compensating factors then he is indeed inconvieniencing you and per Texas law if a parent does not execute visitation from the primary care taker withing 30 min then he/she has forfitted the visitation. There are no excuses for not executing visitation unless there are special circumstances that have been conveyed to you and you all have agreed.
I wonder if you would please be so kind as to provide a citation for that? Thank you.

And Dad does not have to communicate anything at all to OP. OP is not a party to the order.

Just Blue

Post a link to Texas statute that verifies this advice.

sonofabit

That would be a family law attorney and GAL you're addressing. So you may want to zip it and start learning.

If YOU don't plan to do anything, then quit with the "we" idiocy - there is no we. You don't matter at all in this situation. And send Mommy over to ask her own questions about her kid and her ex. You just step on back where you belong.
I don't care who you are or what you do. you didn't answer my question, so why did you even bother to post?

my goal IS to learn, if you can't provide advice without lecturing your personal beliefs then maybe you are the one who should zip it.

sonofabit

I wonder if you would please be so kind as to provide a citation for that? Thank you.

And Dad does not have to communicate anything at all to OP. OP is not a party to the order.
yes please post, this is exactly what I'm looking for!

and I have no intention of getting involved. they decide what they think is best for the child, i just want to know what the law says.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I don't care who you are or what you do. you didn't answer my question, so why did you even bother to post?

my goal IS to learn, if you can't provide advice without lecturing your personal beliefs then maybe you are the one who should zip it.
Here's the deal. The original response you got was from a LAWYER. One who practices family law.

If your goal is to learn, you could actually sit down and read TX law. But YOU are the one asking for people to help you w/o paying for it - you could be a bit more gracious, whether you like the tone or not. Or go pay for the advice.

sonofabit

Here's the deal. The original response you got was from a LAWYER. One who practices family law.

If your goal is to learn, you could actually sit down and read TX law. But YOU are the one asking for people to help you w/o paying for it - you could be a bit more gracious, whether you like the tone or not. Or go pay for the advice.
that's FINE, I appreciate advice from someone who knows the field, but you didn't answer my question, which was what is the actual LAW

and I can live with that, but you didn't stop there; you closed with a remark I found very condescending, and i responded in kind.

if that was not your intention, then I apologize, as I realize intent is lost on the Internet. But if it was, then I would urge you consider your position as a professional when giving out advice in the future.

I've been attempting to find the law on this throughout the day, and had no luck, that's why I posted here, for help in finding the law. I don't want a lawyer to help me win a case, especially when the case has nothing to do with me. I just want to know what the law is.

that being said, I am grateful, and appreciative to all who have responded, with the possible exception of the first.

thanks again

EDIT: sorry I thought you were the original replier, so forgive me I did not mean you specifically, but rather the first replier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">