• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

They're giving too much child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

luvutah

I live in Arkansas. My daughter's father has paid child support since she was an infant. At first, it was taken out of his check at work. Then 5 years ago he changed jobs. He paid me directly cash since then. Now the courts are trying to garnish his wages and make him pay me "back child support" even though I have written them and called them to inform them it's not true. His employer says they HAVE to do it since they got the notice for garnishing his check. How can I stop them from garnishing his wages?

L

LadyBlu

luvutah said:
I live in Arkansas. My daughter's father has paid child support since she was an infant. At first, it was taken out of his check at work. Then 5 years ago he changed jobs. He paid me directly cash since then. Now the courts are trying to garnish his wages and make him pay me "back child support" even though I have written them and called them to inform them it's not true. His employer says they HAVE to do it since they got the notice for garnishing his check. How can I stop them from garnishing his wages?
In the court order it more then likely states that all money is supposed to be paid through the courts. Since you both failed to follow procedure it is now going to cost one or possibly both of you to have this resolved. The only way that you would be able to get them off your ex's back now would be to petition the court for clarification. A judge would be the only one that would allow for any money already paid to you to be considered against his arrears.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">