• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Threatened to kick out stay at home mom

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SchylaGriffith

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

My boyfriend/fiance is the father of my 15 month old girl and step dad to my six year old boy.
My boyfriend is threatening to take custody of our girl and kick me out. The only money I can rely on is child support from my son's father. I've lived here five years, taking care of his house and being step mom to his now 15 year old son. Can he really kick me out with no where to go? Is my only immediate option a shelter?
Can he take custody just because he asks? I know I need a lawyer, but how can I get one when I have less than $300 a month?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

My boyfriend/fiance is the father of my 15 month old girl and step dad to my six year old boy.
My boyfriend is threatening to take custody of our girl and kick me out. The only money I can rely on is child support from my son's father. I've lived here five years, taking care of his house and being step mom to his now 15 year old son. Can he really kick me out with no where to go? Is my only immediate option a shelter?
Can he take custody just because he asks? I know I need a lawyer, but how can I get one when I have less than $300 a month?
He has to establish paternity. But yes, he can evict you by following the proper laws. He has no obligation to support you. He also stands equal to you when it comes to custody of your mutual child.

t74

You are a single mother of now 2 children. You should have been preparing to support yourself and your children by your own work alone. You did not have the luxury of being a SAHM and certainly need to take action immediately.

Your child support is for your son - not a lawyer.

Silverplum

You are a single mother of now 2 children. You should have been preparing to support yourself and your children by your own work alone. You did not have the luxury of being a SAHM and certainly need to take action immediately.

RE: the bolded

Yes, she did. For 5 years. It was probably nice and now, apparently, that time is finished.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Wrong. Child support is a reimbursement of what has already been spent on the child.

Silverplum

Thank you for your fast replies. I'm still reviewing them and some other threads on the forum.
Please know that state laws vary widely: you'd be best served focusing on Oklahoma threads. :) There's a lot of general knowledge to be gained in non-Oklahoma threads, but don't count on any state laws but your own.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">