• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

travel related question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luckymom

I am Illinois.

I recently went to court to gain permission to relocate overseas for one year, and it was allowed. Our order was signed last week. It contains provisions for ex to fly over to visit our daughter during spring break. The order requires him to give me 90 days notice if he intends to do this and states "XX (me) shall purchase a round trip ticket for YY from AA airport to BB airport for the ten day period specified by YY to coincide with ZZ's spring break dates." Even though the order specifes what airport the ticket is to originate from, ex is telling me that he wants to fly from another airport. Don't ask me why. Also he is saying he wants to choose the ticket and then have me reimburse him. I think the order was written the way it was so that I could have some control over the cost of the ticket and so that we didn't have any struggle over reimbursement. Also, I am not sure why this is coming up now since we've just been to court and spring break is not until March.

So . . . is there any reason why I should agree to ex's requests? I prefer just to follow the order and buy the ticket. I am not going to make him change planes a zilliion times or any such nonsense.

nextwife

Well, I can certainly understand why he wouldn't want you bidding for a ticket on Priceline that would end up with one of those crazy itineraries that would zig zag him across the continents and take twice as long to get there!

Byzantium

Not doing what the court order says could get you in trouble. Doing what dad says is not doing what the court order says.

luckymom

Well, I can certainly understand why he wouldn't want you bidding for a ticket on Priceline that would end up with one of those crazy itineraries that would zig zag him across the continents and take twice as long to get there!
True, but as I said I am not that petty, nor am I willing to come off like an idiot in front of the judge and child rep who allowed me this great opportunity. I've done some searching and allowing ex to use his preferred airport would make the ticket almost $300 more expensive than the one in the order. Isn't that reason enough just to go with what is in the orders?

B

BS Spotter

True, but as I said I am not that petty, nor am I willing to come off like an idiot in front of the judge and child rep who allowed me this great opportunity. I've done some searching and allowing ex to use his preferred airport would make the ticket almost $300 more expensive than the one in the order. Isn't that reason enough just to go with what is in the orders?
There are two ways to go about it.

1. You can stick to the order. **OR**

2. If he's so hellbent on flying out of another airport BUT it's going to be more, you can write out an agreement and have language that for this spring break (08) only, both parents agree to the following:
- Dad shall purchase ticket for (child's name) for departure from _____ airport. (you might also want to add language that it shall be a direct flight or no more than one layover...unless there is language in an existing court order that states something different or similar).

- Dad will be solely responsible for all additional costs for ticket, transportation and other related expenditures for departing from ____ airport than it would to fly from ____ airport, as noted in the court order. Both parents shall exchange proof of cost of flights with the other parent.

- All of aspects of the court order regarding spring break apply

- This is not an agreement until BOTH parents sign and return a copy to each other, via certified mail w/return receipt. And this agreement is final.

I wouldn't go by that word-for-word, but it gives you an idea of another option. If he's going to continue to be a PITA (pain in the a$$) about it, then simply tell him to forget it and we're going by the court order...end of discussion.

luckymom

I had an e-mail from saying that he intends to file for modification on the travel arrangements. Is that possible? The judge issued her order on July 13th! If you don't like an order, can you immediately file for modification?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I had an e-mail from saying that he intends to file for modification on the travel arrangements. Is that possible? The judge issued her order on July 13th! If you don't like an order, can you immediately file for modification?
Yes you can. Will it work? No. He should have appealed.

B

BS Spotter

If he's going to play this game, then screw him...go by the order. If he starts whining, give he a kleenex and tell him to get over it.

luckymom

Yes you can. Will it work? No. He should have appealed.
But doesn't he have to have grounds for an appeal? Some procedural mistake? I just finished paying my legal bills for the relocation case--can I request fees if I have to pay again to deal with this ridiculous thing? There was specific discussion of the airport issue during the case and the judge ruled that all flights would originate from the closest international airport to his home, so it is very strange to have this come up again less than a month after our hearing.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
But doesn't he have to have grounds for an appeal? Some procedural mistake? I just finished paying my legal bills for the relocation case--can I request fees if I have to pay again to deal with this ridiculous thing? There was specific discussion of the airport issue during the case and the judge ruled that all flights would originate from the closest international airport to his home, so it is very strange to have this come up again less than a month after our hearing.
There has to be a mistake of law to win on an appeal. Doesn't mean he could win. But it also doesn't mean he can't try and waste his money. For a modification there has to be a change in circumstance. Ask for the modification to be dismissed on the basis that there is no change to warrant a modification. And ask for attorney fees.

luckymom

There has to be a mistake of law to win on an appeal. Doesn't mean he could win. But it also doesn't mean he can't try and waste his money. For a modification there has to be a change in circumstance. Ask for the modification to be dismissed on the basis that there is no change to warrant a modification. And ask for attorney fees.
Thanks! I will definitely ask for fees if I have to deal iwth this.

luckymom

I spoke with my lawyer today and she told me that she had had several calls from the child's rep. It seems that my ex has been calling her about his desire to change the what is in the orders about his spring break travel. I don't understand why the child rep is being involved in this. She is supposed to represent my child's interest, but the only issue involve is my ex's convenience. Also I am charged for half of the child's rep fees. Is it appropriate for me to ask (directly or through my lawyer) that she not be involved in this kind of stuff?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">