• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Traveling across the country with my newborn

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alexis92

I had my baby on Dec 24th 2016 in Henderson NV. I did not put his father on the birth certificate and I have not pursued a paternity test as of yet. His father lives in Florida where I lived up until I was five months pregnant. I have not been in a relationship with his dad since my first trimester. He wanted an abortion and wants nothing to do with the baby. We have not spoke to each other in months. His mother does want a relationship with her grandson and me and offered to fly the baby and I out to Florida so she can meet her grandson. I am very nervous about returning to Florida, even for a couple days because I am not sure if his dad would try to take him or pull some legal stunt to try and keep the baby and I in Florida. Is it safe for me to take my son and go to Florida and meet up with my sons paternal grandmother for a few days?

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I had my baby on Dec 24th 2016 in Henderson NV. I did not put his father on the birth certificate and I have not pursued a paternity test as of yet. His father lives in Florida where I lived up until I was five months pregnant. I have not been in a relationship with his dad since my first trimester. He wanted an abortion and wants nothing to do with the baby. We have not spoke to each other in months. His mother does want a relationship with her grandson and me and offered to fly the baby and I out to Florida so she can meet her grandson. I am very nervous about returning to Florida, even for a couple days because I am not sure if his dad would try to take him or pull some legal stunt to try and keep the baby and I in Florida. Is it safe for me to take my son and go to Florida and meet up with my sons paternal grandmother for a few days?

To answer your question, you're the only person with custody of the child as you're unwed and paternity hasn't been established. But if it were me, I'd encourage Grandma to visit at my home. Cost doesn't seem to be a factor (and really, do you want to be on a plane with a newborn if you don't have to?), so I see no reason why she can't stay at a motel for a few nights and see you on your terms, in your locale.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">