• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

traveling w child across state lines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lexara

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI/OH

Sorry if this is long winded, have several questions..

I live in mi, where child was born (2 mo old) and father lives in oh (not married, never lived together). his name is on the birth cert and he visits from time to time (once in 2 mo). we both work a lot of hours (80 per week), and i have a full time caretaker at my house (my mom for now). all of this detail to show that it would be really hard for either one of us to take care of the child alone, even with babysitters involved, we both work quite a few nights, and it may get really expensive after awhile.

We currently have no custody agreement and no support, i was not seeking either one because i'm just happy that i have the baby, and the father is welcome to visit any time, as i want them to have an opportunity to spend time together

the question is, i may have some months (usually 1mo at a time) where my schedule will get very tough. i wanted to have an opportunity to send my child to west coast with grandma. how can i do that? do i have to fly her there personally and come back, then come back for her in a month? or can she just go with grandma/grandpa. do i have to get permission from dad to do either one? i dont know if he would be happy with that. if he suggests that for that tough month she stays with him, i dont think that will be the best idea - his schedule is just as bad as mine, not to mention he is not set up for a baby, and has no help...

q2 - right now the child does not have any papers except birth cert. what should i get? what papers do i need to fly in us (and abroad ever since i'm asking)... should there be something in my passport that says i'm her mother, since we have diff last names

q3 - should i be seeking child support, and getting the ball rolling on the custody agreement or should i leave things the way they r and just work things out with father outside of court? We r on good terms, and i have no bad intentions toward him (i really like him actually), although my first priority is my child and i want the freedom to do what i think is best. Also, how do i guesstimate child support amount i'll get if i decide to seek that..

q4 - is there a website/book where i can read the oh and mi family law? i'm assuming these things should be published somewhere...

Thanks in advance for any advice

Isis1

you and child live in MI. MI law applies.

at this time you are the ONLY sole legal guardian of this child. you may do as you wish.

however, at anytime, dad can go to court and file to establish paternity/custody/visitation/support. then he would be on equal standing.

Last edited:

TinkerBelleLuvr

For your reading pleasure:

http://courts.michigan.gov/scao/courtforms/domesticrelations/drindex.htm

http://www.michiganlegalaid.org/library_client/resource.2005-05-29.1117417915770/

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Court orders protect everyone involved. If you and Dad are in agreement as far as custody/visitation/child support, then you can file paperwork with the court and have a judge sign it.

Michigan will have jurisdiction since the child was born there and still resides there. You can google for Michigan +child support and that should bring up the state's statutes on CS.

Lexara

So how do I get paperwork that says that I'm a sole guardian, preferably without notifying the father that i'm getting it.

Also what paperwork do I need for my baby to fly. I'm sure they dont just randomly let babies fly all over US?

Last question... long term is there any advantage to not seeking any support from the father? If he let say seeks partial custody 2-3 years from now and hasn't paid anything up until then, does that make any difference? Moneywise I will be able to manage on my own, so I just want to make sure that longterm the dad is involved, but I retain decision making where the child lives etc etc.

Thank You

TinkerBelleLuvr

So how do I get paperwork that says that I'm a sole guardian, preferably without notifying the father that i'm getting it.

Also what paperwork do I need for my baby to fly. I'm sure they dont just randomly let babies fly all over US?

Last question... long term is there any advantage to not seeking any support from the father? If he let say seeks partial custody 2-3 years from now and hasn't paid anything up until then, does that make any difference? Moneywise I will be able to manage on my own, so I just want to make sure that longterm the dad is involved, but I retain decision making where the child lives etc etc.

Thank You
his name is on the birth cert
Dad's name appears on the paperwork - meaning you can't just file in court for custody without dad knowing.

Now, in the US, children under the age of 18 do not have to produce ID, so babies can technically "roam" while with an adult.

Now, if dad files for parenting time, he's gonna get it. Go back to the links I gave you. There is a parenting time guide in there that will give you an idea of what dad will get.

Oh, and as for "sole" custody, Michigan rarely gives them out.

It really does protect ALL parties when you have court orders.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">