+ Reply to Thread

Thread: trial

Formychild is offline Junior Member

trial

What is the name of your state? Md

What does trial of merit or merits mean? My lawyer mentioned it today and I can't find information on it.

Also why are mental evaluations done, and what impact do they have on custody cases? I have read on this forum that a diagnosis of someone being bipolar does nothing when involved in a custody case.
    bononos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Formychild
    What is the name of your state? Md

What does trial of merit or merits mean? My lawyer mentioned it today and I can't find information on it.

Also why are mental evaluations done, and what impact do they have on custody cases? I have read on this forum that a diagnosis of someone being bipolar does nothing when involved in a custody case.
    [url]http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/guide.php[/url]

My ex is bi-polar, un-treated, and it had a slight involvement, but very, very little.

[url]http://www.courts.state.md.us/family/caroline.html[/url]
    nightday77 is offline Junior Member

Bi-Ploar issues

If your wife has little or many signs it dosen't matter! What matters if she takes her meds as the doc ordered and if she is a fit mother!

Bi-Polar is just like someone depressed, a victim of cancer, ect, She never intentionally got Bi-polar which in the courts eyes does not make her an unsuitable parent; unless she is not taking her medication under doc's orders and protrays unexcuitsble behaviors, such an endangering your child.
    nextwife is offline Senior Member
    [url]http://www.notmykid.org/parentArticles/DepressionandBipolar/[/url]

Formychild, so are you implying that the diagnosis of BiPolar should itself be used to limit a parent's involvement? There are many very functional successful persons who are bipolar. So maybe the late Winston Churchill or Ted Turner would not be trustworthy with their kids because they are bipolar?

Below is a partial list:

Famous People With Depression Or Bipolar Disorder

* Buzz Aldrin, astronaut
    * Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821), general
    * Tim Burton, artist, movie director
    * Agatha Christie, mystery writer
    * Winston Churchill (1874-1965), British Prime Minister
    * Emily Dickinson, poet
    * Patty Duke, actress
    * T. S. Eliot, poet
    * Ralph Waldo Emerson, author
    * Sigmund Freud, physician
    * Cary Grant, actor
    * Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865), US President
    * Marilyn Monroe, actress
    * Amadeus Mozart, composer
    * Isaac Newton, scientist
    * Edgar Allen Poe, author
    * Mark Twain, author
    * Ted Turner, entrepreneur
    * Jean-Claude Van Damme, actor
    * Vincent van Gogh, artist
    * Kurt Vonnegut, author
    eme76 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nextwife
    [url]http://www.notmykid.org/parentArticles/DepressionandBipolar/[/url]

Formychild, so are you implying that the diagnosis of BiPolar should itself be used to limit a parent's involvement? There are many very functional successful persons who are bipolar. So maybe the late Winston Churchill or Ted Turner would not be trustworthy with their kids because they are bipolar?

Below is a partial list:

Famous People With Depression Or Bipolar Disorder

* Buzz Aldrin, astronaut
    * Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821), general
    * Tim Burton, artist, movie director
    * Agatha Christie, mystery writer
    * Winston Churchill (1874-1965), British Prime Minister
    * Emily Dickinson, poet
    * Patty Duke, actress
    * T. S. Eliot, poet
    * Ralph Waldo Emerson, author
    * Sigmund Freud, physician
    * Cary Grant, actor
    * Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865), US President
    * Marilyn Monroe, actress
    * Amadeus Mozart, composer
    * Isaac Newton, scientist
    * Edgar Allen Poe, author
    * Mark Twain, author
    * Ted Turner, entrepreneur
    * Jean-Claude Van Damme, actor
    * Vincent van Gogh, artist * Kurt Vonnegut, author
    i think that these were not some of the best examples
    nextwife is offline Senior Member
    I have never read anything that indicated Mozart and Freud were not suitable parents;

[url]http://ask.yahoo.com/20001219.html[/url]

We eventually learned that from June 1783 to July 1791, Constanze bore six children. Tragically, only two of the children survived into adulthood. The elder of the two, Karl Thomas, became a minor official on the staff of the viceroy of Naples in Milan. The younger son, Franz Xaver Wolfgang, composed and conducted extensively throughout Europe, although he never garnered the fame of his father.

[url]http://psychology.about.com/od/profilesofmajorthinkers/p/bio_annafreud.htm[/url]

Anna Freud, youngest child of Sigmund was also highly accomplished, for example.
    Last edited by nextwife; 03-08-2006 at 06:35 PM.
    eme76 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nextwife
    I have never read anything that indicated Mozart and Freud were not suitable parents;

[url]http://ask.yahoo.com/20001219.html[/url]

We eventually learned that from June 1783 to July 1791, Constanze bore six children. Tragically, only two of the children survived into adulthood. The elder of the two, Karl Thomas, became a minor official on the staff of the viceroy of Naples in Milan. The younger son, Franz Xaver Wolfgang, composed and conducted extensively throughout Europe, although he never garnered the fame of his father.

[url]http://psychology.about.com/od/profilesofmajorthinkers/p/bio_annafreud.htm[/url]

Anna Freud, youngest child of Sigmund was also highly accomplished, for example.
    just because someone has become succesful dosent mean that their parents were "suitable" and i did not say they were bad examples just maybe not the best
    sorry if i offended you it was not my intention
    Formychild is offline Junior Member
    I am not implying that someone who is bipolar is not suitable. I was just asking if it had an impact on the custody case. He wants me to go into a full trial.

She is in contempt of the new court order and he is filing for contempt, but is also asking for a mental evaluation.

I will ask him for more information. I voiced concerns to my lawyer because on several occasions she told me she couldn't pick up the child because she was hungover, and I am very concerned she went to the emergency room last week and asked for Percocet. It seems she has been on Percocet for a very long time. With everything else that has happened lately, maybe I misunderstood the lawyer and he wants to use the evaluation for something else.

I hate to go back to court. It causes so much animosity. I have asked why we can't back to mediation, or an evaluator or counselor. My ex keeps lying to me, and I can't depend on her. She doesn't even show up for the baby's doctors appointments. We went to the emergency room 2 nights ago, and she left me in there bymyself to go talk to her new boyfriend for a half an hour. It is very frustrating.

Thank you for the links and information.