• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to bring my son back.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Crystal.Elswick

My son, 3, lives with his grandparents in Georgia. He has been living there for almost a year, and his grandparents refuse visitation with me. They only have temporary guardianship over him, but I have to go through a court to get him back, and they are willing to fight like hell. I want to get my son back. They will not send pictures or accept my phone calls. Problem being that his grandparents make 200k a year, and I make an average of 40k. They want me to sign over custody, and say that if I don't that I won't ever see my son. What am I to do?

Hisbabygirl77

My son, 3, lives with his grandparents in Georgia. He has been living there for almost a year, and his grandparents refuse visitation with me. They only have temporary guardianship over him, but I have to go through a court to get him back, and they are willing to fight like hell. I want to get my son back. They will not send pictures or accept my phone calls. Problem being that his grandparents make 200k a year, and I make an average of 40k. They want me to sign over custody, and say that if I don't that I won't ever see my son. What am I to do?

What the guardianship voluntary? If so go to court and file to terminate the temporary guardianship. If it was voluntary it shouldn't be to difficult. I would however advise you to get an attorney.

Crystal.Elswick

Its voulentary, but a judge is to decide the better party, and the judge in this town [ of 200 people tops ] happens to be the grandfathers best friend. Kinda byast i think..

ecmst12

Consult an attorney who can object to the judge if there is a conflict of interest.

Custody is not and will (hopefully) never be decided based on who makes more money.

LdiJ

Consult an attorney who can object to the judge if there is a conflict of interest.

Custody is not and will (hopefully) never be decided based on who makes more money.
What you want is an attorney who does not directly practice in the judge's jurisdiction and therefore is not beholden on that particular judge for his/her livelihood. It will cost a bit more, but you want an attorney that regularly practices in a different county.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">