• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

twenty year old stepson has two year old son with sixteen year old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

winston24jg

What is the name of your state? Florida
When my son was nineteen, he started dating a girl who he thought was sixteen. She got pregnant and then he found out she was only fourteen. We knew nothing about this girl, because he knew even at sixteen we would not have approved. we found out when she was three months pregnant.

Now they have broken up and she is threatening not to let him see his son at all. He is not on the birth certificate, because her mother said with her being only fourteen at the time it might get my son into trouble. she was for the relationship. now he does not know what legal grounds he has as far as his son is concerned and if he can still get into trouble because of the ages at the time this all occurred. she is now sixteen and he is almost twenty one.

HomeGuru

Please tell me what this almost 21 year old son has done thus far to determine his legal parental rights to his child.

Whyte Noise

The mother was right...

The age of consent in Florida is 18. The girl was 14 at the time. Honestly, your son has no "rights" until paternity is established. In order for that to happen, there will have to be a DNA test done. And that's going to open up a whole other can of worms. He might be charged with statutory rape or child molestation. Yes, it was a consentual relationship, but it was against the law. There is a case in Georgia where a woman had sex with her 14 year old boyfriend, and they had a child. The couple got married after the child was born. He was 16 then, and had parental consent. The now 21 year old faced charges of statutory rape because of her b/f's age at the time, even though they were now married. I honestly don't know what to tell you to do. It's not fair that he be kept from his child, but if he tries to do anything, he could possibly go to jail. It seems like a lose/lose situation.......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">