• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In TX, can a convicted Sex Offender have custody of his child?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suta26

What is the name of your state? Texas

In the state of Texas, can a convicted and registered sex offender have custody of his child?

I read about a man who was a registered sex offender, did 15 years in prison and 9 months probation.

He was still able to gain custody of his child and he claimed that Texas has no such law prohibiting him from such rights.

I always thought that sex offenders could NOT be around children.

Could anyone cite any laws or cases?

I find this very odd.

Gracie3787

In the state of Texas, can a convicted and registered sex offender have custody of his child?

I read about a man who was a registered sex offender, did 15 years in prison and 9 months probation.

He was still able to gain custody of his child and he claimed that Texas has no such law prohibiting him from such rights.

I find this very odd.
It may not be odd at all. Alot depends on what his offense was. the term "registered sex offender" covers a tremendous amount of different crimes and quite often does not mean that the offender was, or is a pedophile.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I find this very odd.
Is he a convicted CHILD MOLESTOR? Or just a sex offender? Sex offenders can commit a lot of different crimes from exposing themselves (think streaking or public urination) to rap or child molestation. Unless this person is a danger to the CHILD (or a convicted child molestor) they can be parents and parent their children. Being a sex offender DOES NOT equal being a child molestor or being a danger to the child!

TinkerBelleLuvr

It depends on the circumstance. My GF, whose X was CONVICTED of molesting her daughter (his SD), gained custody of the son when mom refused to send the chlid for unsupervised visits back to Michigan. She acquired jail time to boot for contempt of court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">