+ Reply to Thread
    suta26 is offline Junior Member

In TX, can a convicted Sex Offender have custody of his child?

What is the name of your state? Texas

In the state of Texas, can a convicted and registered sex offender have custody of his child?

I read about a man who was a registered sex offender, did 15 years in prison and 9 months probation.

He was still able to gain custody of his child and he claimed that Texas has no such law prohibiting him from such rights.

I always thought that sex offenders could NOT be around children.

Could anyone cite any laws or cases?

I find this very odd.
    Gracie3787 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suta26 View Post

In the state of Texas, can a convicted and registered sex offender have custody of his child?

I read about a man who was a registered sex offender, did 15 years in prison and 9 months probation.

He was still able to gain custody of his child and he claimed that Texas has no such law prohibiting him from such rights.

I find this very odd.
    It may not be odd at all. Alot depends on what his offense was. the term "registered sex offender" covers a tremendous amount of different crimes and quite often does not mean that the offender was, or is a pedophile.
    Ohiogal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suta26 View Post

I find this very odd.
    Is he a convicted CHILD MOLESTOR? Or just a sex offender? Sex offenders can commit a lot of different crimes from exposing themselves (think streaking or public urination) to rap or child molestation. Unless this person is a danger to the CHILD (or a convicted child molestor) they can be parents and parent their children. Being a sex offender DOES NOT equal being a child molestor or being a danger to the child!
    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
    TinkerBelleLuvr is offline Senior Member
    It depends on the circumstance. My GF, whose X was CONVICTED of molesting her daughter (his SD), gained custody of the son when mom refused to send the chlid for unsupervised visits back to Michigan. She acquired jail time to boot for contempt of court.