• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

UnBorn Baby, Fathers Rights?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RyansSister

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Iowa

First off you should know the whole story! Or you wont get it!

Barb: Keisha's Mother
Keisha: Mother of the unBorn baby (age:15) shes Due june 24th.
Ryan: Father of the Unborn baby (age:17)

Well to start off as you can see both kids are minors, Ryan will be 18 in July, Graduates in high school in june. And has a full time job. Ryan is my Younger brother, This all Happened Ovre last summer, Ryan and keisha have been friends since they were in grade school, and ryan is best friends with keishas older brother. Ryan and keisha started dating around a year ago, so its not like this just up and happened they've known each other for a very long time.

Over the summer my brother stayed at keishas alot and my mom knew they were sleeping in the same room, so she called Barb, keishas mother, and and said i know Ryan and keisha are sleeping in the same room if you dont want anything to happen i think you should put keisha on Birth control. Barb didnt think that was nessacary and assured my mother that ryan was sleeping on the couch in keishas room.

Couple months later!!!! Keisha is pregnat and its ALL RYANS FAULT! Barb Grounded keisha for 4 months, didnt let her see ryan, Locked her in her room after school, No talking on the phone, She got to do absolutly nothing, And when i say nothing, I mean nothing, She wasent allowed to walk to the school bus by her self, her mother is a very extreme person. They also threathened her to get an abortion, tried to tell her it wasent keishas choice, it was her own because she was under age. Scared the Hell out of this 14 yr old girl that is already scared. They scheduled an appointment for her to have an abortion out of state, and found out she was too far along.

In the mean time ryan is taking full responsibility and is 100% willing to help out with what ever he can, Ryan is not allowed to go to any Doctors appointments, Or see keisha yet, But every tuesday, ryan hands over his pay check to Barb, because She says She will let keisha see ryan, and He has to pay all her doctor Bills. Still to this day ryan has not seen keisha, and Is still giving Barb His pay checks ever week in hopes to see keisha.

The latest thing is that They are Moving away to NorthCarolina, before the baby is born, My Brother is scared, that he is not going to be able to see his child, and Barb is planning on taking custody from keisha because she is so young. Is this possible and what can my brother do, he understands that he has no rights till the child is born, But what happens if the child is born 800 miles away? and the grandmother thinks shes the king of the world and is trying to take custody from keisha, and not let ryan be involed in anyway?!

Last edited:

casa

RyansSister said:
What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Iowa

First off you should know the whole story! Or you wont get it!

Barb: Keisha's Mother
Keisha: Mother of the unBorn baby (age:15) shes Due june 24th.
Ryan: Father of the Unborn baby (age:17)

Well to start off as you can see both kids are minors, Ryan will be 18 in July, Graduates in high school in june. And has a full time job. Ryan is my Younger brother, This all Happened Ovre last summer, Ryan and keisha have been friends since they were in grade school, and ryan is best friends with keishas older brother. Ryan and keisha started dating around a year ago, so its not like this just up and happened they've known each other for a very long time.

Over the summer my brother stayed at keishas alot and my mom knew they were sleeping in the same room, so she called Barb, keishas mother, and and said i know Ryan and keisha are sleeping in the same room if you dont want anything to happen i think you should put keisha on Birth control. Barb didnt think that was nessacary and assured my mother that ryan was sleeping on the couch in keishas room.

Couple months later!!!! Keisha is pregnat and its ALL RYANS FAULT! Barb Grounded keisha for 4 months, didnt let her see ryan, Locked her in her room after school, No talking on the phone, She got to do absolutly nothing, And when i say nothing, I mean nothing, She wasent allowed to walk to the school bus by her self, her mother is a very extreme person. They also threathened her to get an abortion, tried to tell her it wasent keishas choice, it was her own because she was under age. Scared the Hell out of this 14 yr old girl that is already scared. They scheduled an appointment for her to have an abortion out of state, and found out she was too far along.

In the mean time ryan is taking full responsibility and is 100% willing to help out with what ever he can, Ryan is not allowed to go to any Doctors appointments, Or see keisha yet, But every tuesday, ryan hands over his pay check to Barb, because She says She will let keisha see ryan, and He has to pay all her doctor Bills. Still to this day ryan has not seen keisha, and Is still giving Barb His pay checks ever week in hopes to see keisha.

The latest thing is that They are Moving away to NorthCarolina, before the baby is born, My Brother is scared, that he is not going to be able to see his child, and Barb is planning on taking custody from keisha because she is so young. Is this possible and what can my brother do, he understands that he has no rights till the child is born, But what happens if the child is born 800 miles away? and the grandmother thinks shes the king of the world and is trying to take custody from keisha, and not let ryan be involed in anyway?!
Ryan should not turn over money to Barb unless he insists, and it is in check or money order form with "payment for doctor's bills" on the memo- otherwise he's just giving this woman money and could not prove in court Why. Until paternity is established and a court order is filed for child support, he isn't obligated to give her anything. Barb probably carries Keisha on her medical insurance plan- so the only costs should be co-pays anyway. Ryan may be better served to save his paychecks to hire an attorney when the baby is born.

Barb is not god, though she is understandably upset her teen daughter has turned out pregnant- it appears her own lack of supervision contributed to the situation. (Although I must add that Ryan was capable of wearing a condom whether or not Keisha was on birth control- It takes two to reproduce and it also takes to to be responsible for contraception :rolleyes: ) Barb will not be able to take custody of the baby unless Keisha is deemed unfit by the court or voluntarily gives up her rights to her mother. Ryan has every right to file for joint custody and visitation. He will have to file in court to establish paterny (usually DNA testing to confirm he is the father) since he won't be around when the baby is born to file an affidavit of paternity or sign the birth certificate. If he does that, then even if Keisha signs over custody to her mother- he would be able to fight it- and have a better chance at custody than the grandmother. (He'll be an adult with a job with a history of helping support and care for Keisha financially).

Even though Keisha is a minor, once she gives birth- she is a mother. Though she is still a minor in her mother's custody, the baby will be a minor in Keisha's custody.

Is Ryan prepared to save his paychecks to hire an attorney out of state to fight for his rights to at least joint legal custody and visitation?

LdiJ

casa said:
Ryan should not turn over money to Barb unless he insists, and it is in check or money order form with "payment for doctor's bills" on the memo- otherwise he's just giving this woman money and could not prove in court Why. Until paternity is established and a court order is filed for child support, he isn't obligated to give her anything. Barb probably carries Keisha on her medical insurance plan- so the only costs should be co-pays anyway. Ryan may be better served to save his paychecks to hire an attorney when the baby is born.

Barb is not god, though she is understandably upset her teen daughter has turned out pregnant- it appears her own lack of supervision contributed to the situation. (Although I must add that Ryan was capable of wearing a condom whether or not Keisha was on birth control- It takes two to reproduce and it also takes to to be responsible for contraception :rolleyes: ) Barb will not be able to take custody of the baby unless Keisha is deemed unfit by the court or voluntarily gives up her rights to her mother. Ryan has every right to file for joint custody and visitation. He will have to file in court to establish paterny (usually DNA testing to confirm he is the father) since he won't be around when the baby is born to file an affidavit of paternity or sign the birth certificate. If he does that, then even if Keisha signs over custody to her mother- he would be able to fight it- and have a better chance at custody than the grandmother. (He'll be an adult with a job with a history of helping support and care for Keisha financially).

Even though Keisha is a minor, once she gives birth- she is a mother. Though she is still a minor in her mother's custody, the baby will be a minor in Keisha's custody.

Is Ryan prepared to save his paychecks to hire an attorney out of state to fight for his rights to at least joint legal custody and visitation?
I just want to re-emphasize the point that Ryan SHOULD STOP turning his paychecks over to Barb. She is not going to allow him to see Keisha and I agree that it would be better for him to save his money for an attorney. He is going to need one if he has to fight for his rights across state lines.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">