• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

under 1 year old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

new2this

I live in Massachusettes, looking to go to Vermont, and I wasnt sure if the father could get custody/visitation with my son being only 1 month old and breastfeeding? Is there a minimum age the child can be to start seeing his father?

LdiJ

new2this said:
I live in Massachusettes, looking to go to Vermont, and I wasnt sure if the father could get custody/visitation with my son being only 1 month old and breastfeeding? Is there a minimum age the child can be to start seeing his father?
Dad can get visitation as soon as he files for visitation. It would probably start out with frequent, short visits, and probably in your home at the very beginning, but dad certainly would get visitation.

If you move to another state dad could file to establish visitation in MA until you have lived in VT long enough to be a legal resident there. Its even possible that dad could get the judge to order that you return the child to MA.

Therefore, realize that if you do move you may have to move back.

nextwife

What makes you think that unmarried mothers are AUTOMATICALLY more competant to care for a child than their fathers are? Just because a Dad is unmarried does NOT make him necessarilly any less capable a caregiver than you are.

As stated Dad will gtet his OWN visitaion time with his child, if he files, fairly quickly. Breastfeeding is not an excuse to deny a dad their own parenting time. That's what breast pumps are for.

The ONLY caregiving duty a dad cannot perform is lactation. The guys I know did everything else for their babies from birth.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">