• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jaime Saldana

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

What are the chances of a father getting 50% physical custody...My stbxw has been the primary caregiver, but I was always working and never had time with my kids, it's been very hard for my kids to get acquianted with me because I was never around, they would kick and scream when I took them out, after I filed for divorce. I will not be living in the same district either, my kids are 5 and 2. I was recently unemployed and I wanted to know if a judge will still have be pay child support if I am receiving unemployment benefits?

CourtClerk

Yes, you will still have to pay child support even though you are on unemployment. Lucky for you, if SDU is handling your support enforcement, they will take 25% of your unemployment check to cover the child support.

NOTE: Just because you are unemployment DOES NOT mean your support order will reduce.

Oh, and no, you probably aren't going to get 50-50 custody just because you want it. There has to be a significant change of circumstances FOR THE CHILDREN in order to change custody. You haven't mentioned one.

Just Blue

Yes, you will still have to pay child support even though you are on unemployment. Lucky for you, if SDU is handling your support enforcement, they will take 25% of your unemployment check to cover the child support.

NOTE: Just because you are unemployment DOES NOT mean your support order will reduce.

Oh, and no, you probably aren't going to get 50-50 custody just because you want it. There has to be a significant change of circumstances FOR THE CHILDREN in order to change custody. You haven't mentioned one.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-custody-visitation-37/legal-guardian-475705.html#post2308580

Jaime Saldana

Well, at this time I have them every other weekend but for the day I take them back home, my kids are not used to sleeping somewhere else, so we are doing it like that. I have a temporary custody hearing next month and I will let a judge decide what will be these best. In regards to child support, I suppose I am going to have to pay for their support, however, I will have to pay my rent also since I am not living in our home anymore. Please give me some ideas on how a judge will see all of this, thank you.

Isis1

Well, at this time I have them every other weekend but for the day I take them back home, my kids are not used to sleeping somewhere else, so we are doing it like that. I have a temporary custody hearing next month and I will let a judge decide what will be these best. In regards to child support, I suppose I am going to have to pay for their support, however, I will have to pay my rent also since I am not living in our home anymore. Please give me some ideas on how a judge will see all of this, thank you.
what's stopping you from getting another job?

Isis1

Isabella, I'm going to have to call you dumb on this one.

NO ONE can get a job right now, thanks to our economy. And it ain't gonna get better any time soon. Maybe in 2012...... :cool:
LOL.

is that the OP's trouble? what i'm looking for is that he is actually looking. not just sitting home twiddling his thumbs. however i read his other thread. a third party has custody of his child.

CourtClerk

Isabella, I'm going to have to call you dumb on this one.

NO ONE can get a job right now, thanks to our economy. And it ain't gonna get better any time soon. Maybe in 2012...... :cool:
I wouldn't say no one. I have 3 friends who were able to find jobs... in Los Angeles in the last 2 weeks. One had only been out of work 30 good days. I will say that she was an anomoly, since I also know people who have been out of work for a year, but I will also say that some of those have spent a whole lot of time socializing and not nearly as much job hunting. I once told someone, if you spend 8 hours a day AT a job, spend 9 hours a day looking for one and that means getting OUT of the house to do it.

CJane

LOL.

is that the OP's trouble? what i'm looking for is that he is actually looking. not just sitting home twiddling his thumbs. however i read his other thread. a third party has custody of his child.
I think the kid (singular) referred to in that thread is not included in the kids (plural) referred to in this one.

LdiJ

Really helped all of us didn't it? :cool:
All of that stimulous money would have added up to a heck of a lot...30k or more per family in the US. It might have done the economy a whole lot more good if each family had that kind of money to "spend".

Think how many foreclosures could have been avoided...think how many cars could have been purchased...etc..?

Don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting that the government should have done it that way...not at all...I am simply speculating.

Humusluvr

Think positively. Think 2010.... ;)
Bless you, positive thinker!

And CC, TOTALLY right. If people searched as hard as they could, and weren't so damned picky, they would be employed. It may not be hteir dream job, or the job they used to have, but it would be better than the no job they have now.

On the other hand, I am thanking my lucky stars that I speak Spoanish and have connections in Mexico, if this health care fiasco goes down. It's pretty scary to be one of those people with a chronic disease. In fact, I'm terrified.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Bless you, positive thinker!

And CC, TOTALLY right. If people searched as hard as they could, and weren't so damned picky, they would be employed. It may not be hteir dream job, or the job they used to have, but it would be better than the no job they have now.

On the other hand, I am thanking my lucky stars that I speak Spoanish and have connections in Mexico, if this health care fiasco goes down. It's pretty scary to be one of those people with a chronic disease. In fact, I'm terrified.
Believe me, I feel your pain.... :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">