• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unfit mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pnut11

What is the name of your state?Kentucky

My step-daughter's mother called on Friday, wants my husband to take their 13 yr old daughter, whom she has sole custody of (they were never married, but he pays support and has signed acknowledgement of paternity). The reason: She apparently has had several visits from social services for allegations of selling drugs and child neglect. Stated that if social services receives one more call on her, they will remove the children (she has 2). My question, if we agree, can we get full custody of the child? And will I have any rights, since I will be the one responsible for doctors and dentists and school, etc? Any advice appreciated.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Dad can certainly file for custody. But as stepmom you will still have no real legal rights.

VeronicaGia

pnut11 said:
What is the name of your state?Kentucky

My step-daughter's mother called on Friday, wants my husband to take their 13 yr old daughter, whom she has sole custody of (they were never married, but he pays support and has signed acknowledgement of paternity). The reason: She apparently has had several visits from social services for allegations of selling drugs and child neglect. Stated that if social services receives one more call on her, they will remove the children (she has 2). My question, if we agree, can we get full custody of the child? And will I have any rights, since I will be the one responsible for doctors and dentists and school, etc? Any advice appreciated.
If your husband decides to do this, he needs to IMMEDIATELY file for custody and a child support modification if he gets custody. If he doesn't, she can take the child back at any time and he will have to pay the child support to her.

Make sure he gets both parts of the order modified, custody and child support. As a step parent, you have no legal rights but if the child needs to go to the doctor, school, etc,. you can drive her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">