• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unfit to work, unfit to parent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kathy4

The biologigal father of my 6 year-old son is currently taking me to court over visitation rights. At this time he is only allowed supervised visitations because he ( the bio father) is clinically scizophrenic. The state of Michigan has seen that he is unfit to work and take his place in society, therefore granting him Social Security Benefits. And because he hasn't had to work in many years, the child
support I receive comes in the form of Social Security, the amount being cut in half with the bio father's 15 year old son from previous marriage. This man and I were never married, in fact, he left me shortly after my son was born saying "he couldn't handle it". Now he is married again and is pressing for unsupervisid visitations with my son that I refuse to allow.
My question is, if the state of Michigan sees that he is unfit to work and take his place in society due to the nature of his mental illness; shouldn't he be considered unfit to take a child alone as well?? He does have a history of violence and destructive behavior, which makes me very nervous and feel that he is not stable enough to have sole responsibility for a small child.
He seems to think that he isn't a threat and that the episodes of violence and halluciations are all in the past. But isn't it the nature of scizophrenia considered very unpredictable?
I am very concerned for the welfare of my son and don't ever want him put in a position where he is left alone with someone who has a hard time telling the difference between what is real and what is not.
I know this is a very confusing situation, if you could give any advice at all, that would be wonderful!
Thank you
Kathleen

L

LadyBlu

kathy4 said:
The biologigal father of my 6 year-old son is currently taking me to court over visitation rights. At this time he is only allowed supervised visitations because he ( the bio father) is clinically scizophrenic. The state of Michigan has seen that he is unfit to work and take his place in society, therefore granting him Social Security Benefits. And because he hasn't had to work in many years, the child
support I receive comes in the form of Social Security, the amount being cut in half with the bio father's 15 year old son from previous marriage. This man and I were never married, in fact, he left me shortly after my son was born saying "he couldn't handle it". Now he is married again and is pressing for unsupervisid visitations with my son that I refuse to allow.
My question is, if the state of Michigan sees that he is unfit to work and take his place in society due to the nature of his mental illness; shouldn't he be considered unfit to take a child alone as well?? He does have a history of violence and destructive behavior, which makes me very nervous and feel that he is not stable enough to have sole responsibility for a small child.
He seems to think that he isn't a threat and that the episodes of violence and halluciations are all in the past. But isn't it the nature of scizophrenia considered very unpredictable?
I am very concerned for the welfare of my son and don't ever want him put in a position where he is left alone with someone who has a hard time telling the difference between what is real and what is not.
I know this is a very confusing situation, if you could give any advice at all, that would be wonderful!
Thank you
Kathleen
Have you retained an attorney? If his mental state is such that he is considered mentally disabled then you need to fight this as hard as you can. Get an attorney that can subpeona his mental health records and get Psyche evals done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">