• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninterrupted Vacation Time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wileybunch

What is the name of your state? Nevada

Husband's parenting plan has every holiday spelled out in his parenting plan except spring break. He has a summer vacation provision and another provision for 2 weeks of uninterrupted vacation time during the school year so long as it doesn't conflict with school. In a literal interpretation of the 2 weeks "uninterrupted" time, does that mean he gets one vacation and it can be of that length and if it's shorter he's done for the year?

He can't take 2 weeks during the year since there's no way to do that and not conflict with school, but he would like to be able to take some weekend trips and pick daughter up after school Friday and return her to school Monday morning and wants to know if he can do that with this provision or only one time and then it's used up.

He figures it's just one time, but wanted to check.
He already gave mother notice he planned to take a short vacation with daughter for such a weekend in April (there's a conference that weekend for our church) that also happens to be his regular weekend and Mom's saying daughter can't leave until 4:30 on Friday after her piano lesson and he has to return her Sunday night. I don't think she really read his notice because he said it was under the vacation provisions.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? Nevada

Husband's parenting plan has every holiday spelled out in his parenting plan except spring break. He has a summer vacation provision and another provision for 2 weeks of uninterrupted vacation time during the school year so long as it doesn't conflict with school. In a literal interpretation of the 2 weeks "uninterrupted" time, does that mean he gets one vacation and it can be of that length and if it's shorter he's done for the year?

He can't take 2 weeks during the year since there's no way to do that and not conflict with school, but he would like to be able to take some weekend trips and pick daughter up after school Friday and return her to school Monday morning and wants to know if he can do that with this provision or only one time and then it's used up.

He figures it's just one time, but wanted to check.
He already gave mother notice he planned to take a short vacation with daughter for such a weekend in April (there's a conference that weekend for our church) that also happens to be his regular weekend and Mom's saying daughter can't leave until 4:30 on Friday after her piano lesson and he has to return her Sunday night. I don't think she really read his notice because he said it was under the vacation provisions.
Wiley what is the ACTUAL wording of the vacation time allowed. ALL vacation time allowed.

wileybunch

This is the SUMMER/VACATIONS part of his parenting plan:

Provided it causes no disruptions to the children's schooling, both parents shall be allowed to have the children during their respective vacations.

The parents agree to discuss their individual vacation plans in order to make arrangements for the children's care during their absence and/or have the children during their respective vacations.

Father shall be allowed two (2) weeks of uninterrupted vacation time with the children during the year, as well as up to one-half (1/2) of the children's summer vacation time according to what he can fit into his schedule.

During each of the children's summer vacations and/or track breaks, either party may take the children on a vacation so long as there is thirty (30) days advance notice to the other party. If a vacation time is not exercised, then the normal visitation schedule will apply.

Thanks!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
This is the SUMMER/VACATIONS part of his parenting plan:

Provided it causes no disruptions to the children's schooling, both parents shall be allowed to have the children during their respective vacations.

The parents agree to discuss their individual vacation plans in order to make arrangements for the children's care during their absence and/or have the children during their respective vacations.

Father shall be allowed two (2) weeks of uninterrupted vacation time with the children during the year, as well as up to one-half (1/2) of the children's summer vacation time according to what he can fit into his schedule.

During each of the children's summer vacations and/or track breaks, either party may take the children on a vacation so long as there is thirty (30) days advance notice to the other party. If a vacation time is not exercised, then the normal visitation schedule will apply.

Thanks!
Actually I read this to say that dad is allowed two weeks (meaning two - one week periods) which are uninterrupted with the children during the year as long as they get to school when it is on his time. He does not have to take it as a two week block.

profmum

I read it differently: that Dad may have two weeks of time in any fashion as long as kiddo is in school when she is supposed to be. Mum is full of bs if she demanding that kiddo cannot leave with dad till x is over and return in x etc etc so as long he gives mum his 30 day notice, he has done everything as specified by the CO. Mum can create a stink about it the literal definition (my ex did) and then you would have to get the Courts to clarify.
I think common sense applies here, Dad wanting a weekend makes sense, taking random days here and there makes less sense.
Ps. I have an ex who never seems to understand COs... no matter how explicit they are, I ignore his outbursts and follow the CO to the tee..!

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
i dont see as him done everything as specified by the CO. Mum can create a stink about it the literal definition (my ex did) and then you would have to get the Courts to clarify.
Please tell me you're not an English prof!

profmum

This is not about lingustics (incidentally English is my first language:), and sorry for the bad grammer (tad early here!) but legal interpretation. The wording in my CO is similar to wileybunch, with the difference being 30 days... long story short, the courts clarified as "30 days being 30 days taken in any fashion" with the appropriate notice provisions as long as only 15 of those days are on the non vacationing parents regular time.

So the way I read it, Dad can have 14 days as long as appropriate notice is given and kiddos school is not interrupted.. common sense would dictate taking small chunks of time or one or two large chunks and not a "day here and there".

wileybunch

Actually I read this to say that dad is allowed two weeks (meaning two - one week periods) which are uninterrupted with the children during the year as long as they get to school when it is on his time. He does not have to take it as a two week block.
Thanks for the help interpreting. Oh, and a lightbulb just went off -- lol. So he could take the out of town trip Fri-Mon he planned, but he if he had also planned to be home the rest of that week on vacation, he could have DD for the entire week, so long as he takes her to school. He doesn't tend to take stay home vacations (I do -- but I always have more vacation time than him) so that just hit me. :rolleyes:

wileybunch

This is not about lingustics (incidentally English is my first language:), and sorry for the bad grammer (tad early here!) but legal interpretation. The wording in my CO is similar to wileybunch, with the difference being 30 days... long story short, the courts clarified as "30 days being 30 days taken in any fashion" with the appropriate notice provisions as long as only 15 of those days are on the non vacationing parents regular time.

So the way I read it, Dad can have 14 days as long as appropriate notice is given and kiddos school is not interrupted.. common sense would dictate taking small chunks of time or one or two large chunks and not a "day here and there".
Does your CO say "uninterrupted" time?

LdiJ

Does your CO say "uninterrupted" time?
I think that's a key factor in your husband's orders...the phrase "uninterrupted time". That is I why I agree more with OG's interpretation. However, that still wouldn't prohibit him from taking a shorter amount of time than one week, but it might prohibit him from taking more than two trips.

wileybunch

I think that's a key factor in your husband's orders...the phrase "uninterrupted time". That is I why I agree more with OG's interpretation. However, that still wouldn't prohibit him from taking a shorter amount of time than one week, but it might prohibit him from taking more than two trips.
Of course, I like that interpretation so I accept it. :) We were thinking this one weekend would use up the whole allotment which is a shame b/c it's his normal weekend anyway, but if that's what it was, so be it, so of course glad to hear he could still use another week. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">