• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unmarried mothers custody rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abbcindy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

My daughter has a 15 month old son but never married the father. She has had some bad breaks and the father of her son continues to threaten her that he's going to take away her son. For some reason, he has the ability to make her think he can tell her when she can have him and when she can't. This man is very controlling and refuses to do the things she asks him to do when it comes to their son. She's trying to wean him off the bottle but because it's more convenient for the father to just shut him up with a bottle, he refuses. Whenever she gets her son back from the father, he has horrible diaper rash from all of the fruit juice he's given to drink and the diaper not being changed when it should be. The father has 2 other sons with his ex-wife and tried to get custody of them but lost the battle. He has no steady job, lives with his father, and drinks beer every day that I've known him. My daughter filed with the county she lives in for assistance and filed for child support at that time as well. She receives about $70 a month from him in child support. She is at her wits end with worry that her son will be taken away from her. She had a job working evenings but had to give it up because she couldn't find any daycare and the father refused to help. What kind of advice can I give my daughter to give her strength to fight for her son and not give in to this manipulative monster? I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">