• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unmarried mother's rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shena1822

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas
I am an unmarried mother of a 2 year old and 5 month old, I live with the father who is the only financial support in the house currently. I am a stay at home mom. Him and I don't get along and are in a verbally toxic relationship, I can admit it's both of us. We just don't work very well. I love my children and so does he, we just don't love eachother. I would never seek to remove his right to see them because he is a good father.
I guess my question is if we separate and I move out do I have a chance to get custody of boys even though I don't curently have a job?

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas
I am an unmarried mother of a 2 year old and 5 month old, I live with the father who is the only financial support in the house currently. I am a stay at home mom. Him and I don't get along and are in a verbally toxic relationship, I can admit it's both of us. We just don't work very well. I love my children and so does he, we just don't love eachother. I would never seek to remove his right to see them because he is a good father.
I guess my question is if we separate and I move out do I have a chance to get custody of boys even though I don't curently have a job?
Typically the primary caregiver becomes the custodial parent and since you are a SAHM and he works, that would make you the primary. Most of the time.

Just remember that you and Dad will stand equal before the court (assuming paternity has been established), and custody is never guaranteed for either party. Since you're both decent parents, have you considered a 50/50 timeshare?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">