• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unncle and Grandmother trying to take my son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alijen321

Tennessee, Washington County.
My husband and I got a divorce in 1999. I got joint custody of my son.We agreed that I didn't have to pay child support because I was not able to work.My ex husband and I didnt get along for quite awhile after the divorce.I saw my son as much as possible with always the threat of getting shot, I still went to see him.My ex husband and I became friends and we still argued. I still loved him and he loved me even though we could not get along. Anyways, My ex husband passed away just a few days ago which left me full custody of my 17 yr old son.The problem is at the time when my ex husband was mad at me he supposedly made out a will giving his brother custody of my son when he passed away.He said my ex did not want me to have custody of my son. The will is in a lockbox at the bank where my ex had an account . I'm not sure there was a will. My ex brother in law is petitioning the court as execetor of my ex's estate so he can get into the lockbox and handle the estate. My son will inherit about 4 acres of land and his home where he lived all his life. My son wants me and my daughter, his sister, to live with him in the house but my ex brother in law says no that he is supposed to lock the house up and not let anyone in .My son is there in his home now with his sister who is 18 years old. My ex brother in law and his mother do not want me there at all or to live there with my son until he turns 18. I need to know what my rights are and if I can stay there if my son wants me to.I have an apartment and it is only big enough for 2 people. My son has been staying with me since March 10th, his 17th birthday because his dad and he were arguing. We thought my ex was going to get better and my son planned on going back home but his dad died instead.He has gone back home now with me and his half sister but from what my ex brother in law says we cant stay there. He wants to stay there and be my sons legal guardian.I love my son very much and he needs me very much now. I think they just want the estate and my son is the only way they have to get it. They live in Northern Virginia and have not even visited my son or ex husband in 5 years. Can you please help me and tell me what to do? Please.I cant afford to hire a lawyer and my exs mother is loaded with money. Alijen321What is the name of your state?

Just Blue

alijen321 said:
Tennessee, Washington County.
My husband and I got a divorce in 1999. I got joint custody of my son.We agreed that I didn't have to pay child support because I was not able to work.My ex husband and I didnt get along for quite awhile after the divorce.I saw my son as much as possible with always the threat of getting shot, I still went to see him.My ex husband and I became friends and we still argued. I still loved him and he loved me even though we could not get along. Anyways, My ex husband passed away just a few days ago which left me full custody of my 17 yr old son.The problem is at the time when my ex husband was mad at me he supposedly made out a will giving his brother custody of my son when he passed away.He said my ex did not want me to have custody of my son. The will is in a lockbox at the bank where my ex had an account . I'm not sure there was a will. My ex brother in law is petitioning the court as execetor of my ex's estate so he can get into the lockbox and handle the estate. My son will inherit about 4 acres of land and his home where he lived all his life. My son wants me and my daughter, his sister, to live with him in the house but my ex brother in law says no that he is supposed to lock the house up and not let anyone in .My son is there in his home now with his sister who is 18 years old. My ex brother in law and his mother do not want me there at all or to live there with my son until he turns 18. I need to know what my rights are and if I can stay there if my son wants me to.I have an apartment and it is only big enough for 2 people. My son has been staying with me since March 10th, his 17th birthday because his dad and he were arguing. We thought my ex was going to get better and my son planned on going back home but his dad died instead.He has gone back home now with me and his half sister but from what my ex brother in law says we cant stay there. He wants to stay there and be my sons legal guardian.I love my son very much and he needs me very much now. I think they just want the estate and my son is the only way they have to get it. They live in Northern Virginia and have not even visited my son or ex husband in 5 years. Can you please help me and tell me what to do? Please.I cant afford to hire a lawyer and my exs mother is loaded with money. Alijen321What is the name of your state?

Your son is not a puppy or a baseball collection that can be willed to someone...Your ex died...You now have custody...

I suggest you bring the children to see a lawyer regarding thier inheritance.

LdiJ

baystategirl said:
Your son is not a puppy or a baseball collection that can be willed to someone...Your ex died...You now have custody...

I suggest you bring the children to see a lawyer regarding thier inheritance.
I agree wholeheartedly.

alijen321

Uncle and grandmother trying tot ake my son

I am going to take my son to talk to a lawyer but I do not have the money to hire one. My ex mother in law has a lot of money. My son wants me and his sister to live with him in his house. His grandmother and uncle do not want us there.. My daughter is not my ex husbands child . My son is his only child therefore he should be the only one to inherit. We have not seen the will yet if there is one. Thank you very much for answering my post..

Just Blue

alijen321 said:
I am going to take my son to talk to a lawyer but I do not have the money to hire one. My ex mother in law has a lot of money. My son wants me and his sister to live with him in his house. His grandmother and uncle do not want us there.. My daughter is not my ex husbands child . My son is his only child therefore he should be the only one to inherit. We have not seen the will yet if there is one. Thank you very much for answering my post..

Most lawyers will give you a free consultation...Contact an Estate Attorney ASAP...

If the house was left to your son....tough cookies what the ex's mother says or wants...tell her to blow it out her butt!

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">