• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unreported income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Katie in FL

If I know that NCP has "side jobs" and is not reporting finances what should I do?

NOTES: NCP has 2 sides jobs that I know of - Life Insurance/Financial Advisor (may also get commission for recruiting others) AND has website that offers to advertise people's timeshare property for fairly large fee. (Site may not be legit, may be soliciting information from his "real" job's database - with customer approval) NCP has denied that they have additional income.

tigger22472

Good luck in proving it!! I wish I could do the same. My ex husband used to tell me he couldn't pay support because he wasn't working and then in the next breath tell me he had to wait for his check to come in that week before he could come get the boys. I told him I wanted a job like that. Just like now. He quit his job (after they FINALLY found him working ) after support was taken out of his check for 4 whole weeks... woohoo. I know he's working under the table and could probably tell you who with however I can't prove it.

Katie in FL

How to report

Parent is consistently playing the same games with unreported income. He has not filed his taxes in at least three years (four, if he doesn't do them again in 2008). How does one go about reporting the NCP to the IRS ?

CJane

If NCP does not OWE taxes, or is due a refund, the IRS isn't going to CARE that he's not filing his tax returns. They have MUCH bigger fish to fry.

Also, just because you're not getting his refunds doesn't mean that he's not filing taxes... only that he's not getting refunds.

The way you described his 'side jobs' though... sounds an awful lot like neither one was a JOB... sounds like one was a very popular 'multi-level-marketing' line of BS.

CJane

If the taxpayer has more than $400.28 in self-employment income, they must file a tax return. Period. No discussion.
But I can easily see how (especially 7 years LATER) Dad is 1) NOT making any money off this 'possibly not legit' website and 2) Never made a dime working for Primerica.

Katie in FL

Update about the dad

Father stated in Jan 2008 to court magistrate (and it is on record with the courts) that he is currently making $4500-$5000 a month as a mortgage broker. Sorry, I forgot to include that info. Yes plenty has change in 7 years... except for his responsibility towards his child.

wileybunch

Who's doing child support enforcement?
He'll be enjoying not driving/driving w/o a driver's license soon if he doesn't get it together.

tuffbrk

Father stated in Jan 2008 to court magistrate (and it is on record with the courts) that he is currently making $4500-$5000 a month as a mortgage broker. Sorry, I forgot to include that info. Yes plenty has change in 7 years... except for his responsibility towards his child.
Currently that is what he is earning? Or is that what he previously was earning? That's actually not bad considering today's market...BUT who is he brokering for? They would have to send him year end statements - I don't see how the income can be unreported.

I'd think with that salary that you're already due a fair amount of CS...

Last edited:

Katie in FL

I haven't taken the father back to court regarding asking for additional support, since the original court-ordered support payments were issued in 2000.

I finally got over (some of) the fear of my child's father and filed him in contempt a few months back - BECAUSE he did not respond to the driver's license suspension (which was put into effect in 2005).

BTW: He is a broker in a well-known and highly affluent area - he mentioned to the magistrate last month that he wasn't doing as well as he normally does and "only makes $4500-$5000 as of lately... yet can't manage to make $200/bi-weekly payments (nor even partial payments) for some unknown reason.

There ARE occasional payments of $200 - - but sometimes months pass without payment and he has now accumulated over $4000 in arrears. I don't want to be facing a situation where he cannot catch up, even if he wanted to. And he's made it clear that he doesn't care about the license suspension (going on 3 years) - and has been lucky enough to dodge that bullet even though he has been seen driving (with other people's name on the vehicle registration).

He reports that his income is commission based. And I have NO IDEA how he has been able to get away with not doing his taxes for 3 years either.

Did anyone answer the following question, if so I can't not see the answer...
- How does one go about reporting the NCP to the IRS ?

TinkerBelleLuvr

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=106778,00.html

Be aware of certain items:
He can possibly be filing returns, but must pay with them so that you aren't getting any intercept
He can possibly be owed a refund, but because he doesn't file, you aren't getting any intercept.
He's lying like heck and needs to be reported.

nextwife

Brokers are independent contractors: not employees. Being in an affluent are means squat, there are many other brokers competing for the same customers, and the market has tanked.

Also, is the $4500 GROSS or net income? When I was a RE broker, my monthly expenses (signage, advertising, mailings, required board and mls memberships, etc. ran close to 50% of gross. If that still holds true, a broker making $4500 might expense $2250. that month to make that $4500.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">