• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unstable environment enough to change physical custody to other parent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CSO286

I just want to keep everything the same for child. Is that such a bad thing? Just trying to protect child from the risk of being uprooted.
OP, people aren't really all that rooted to places.

People are rooted to people. To each other.

So in addition to trying to take the child from her "unstable living enviroment," you also wish to remove her from her one solid steady beacon of "same"-ness, her mother.

Do you see the problem here?

Proserpina

We are 50/50. wouldnt that make both of us primary caretakers if we share parenting time? I simply want physical granted to me so I dont continously have to worry about child going to new school.

You're really going to pitch a fit if Mom actually gets permission to move out of the county. Or worse - the State.

Dad, you have NO case here. None. At all.

If something ELSE changes? Come back again. But right now? You have nothing.

Silverplum

We are 50/50. wouldnt that make both of us primary caretakers if we share parenting time? I simply want physical granted to me so I dont continously have to worry about child going to new school.
Worrying is a choice. You don't "have to" worry.

Shears

I just want to keep everything the same for child. Is that such a bad thing? Just trying to protect child from the risk of being uprooted.
It's not such a bad thing, but unless you and ex agree and work something out outside of court, you probably aren't going to get very far.

I'm just trying to help you if at all possible by sharing/comparing my experience so that maybe you won't be sitting there in a couple of years still paying attorney's fees for a losing battle you chose to fight. I'm still paying for mine, and paying for a 'current round' now to boot. But the information I learned here and the so-far-seemingly-much-more-competent-new attorney's advice have helped me understand that what I feel, and what the law is, are just two different things sometimes. And I feel much better about the $ I'm spending for the current case with a better (still not 'wonderful', but 'better') understanding now of what's legally relevant.

Read a LOT of posts here - it helps. I check up every few days and just read posts and keep notes on what's legally relevant and what's not in other people's cases, in order to help with my own.

txdadof2

OP, people aren't really all that rooted to places.

People are rooted to people. To each other.

So in addition to trying to take the child from her "unstable living enviroment," you also wish to remove her from her one solid steady beacon of "same"-ness, her mother.

Do you see the problem here?
I dont want child to be taken away from mother, mother can still get her every other week per our current arrangments. Just with me having physical.

CSO286

I dont want child to be taken away from mother, mother can still get her every other week per our current arrangments. Just with me having physical.
Ok, so if you have 50/50, with each of you every other week, how does you having primary physical alter the "stablility" level in child's life? She spends week one with you at your house, week two with Mom where Mom is, week three back with you, week four with Mom......etc...

where is the problem? Really, if you want to keep the 50/50, it sounds as though you are quibbling over labels.

Last edited:

CSO286

No, I do not have to pay child support. We are 50/50, why would I have to?
Because even with a 50/50 split, depending on how the state figures support, one parent can still end up owing support.

ETA: Dad, you still need to answer my question:
Ok, so if you have 50/50, with each of you every other week, how does you having primary physical alter the "stablility" level in child's life? She spends week one with you at your house, week two with Mom where Mom is, week three back with you, week four with Mom......etc...

where is the problem? Really, if you want to keep the 50/50, it sounds as though you are quibbling over labels.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">