• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unwed Fathers visitation rights ( North Carolina)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R_in_NC

North Carolina

I live in north Carolina and have a five month old daughter. Her father and I have never been married. I do not want my daughters father involved in her life at all. The reason for this is due mainly to his past criminal history. The other reason why is because through out my pregnancy and now after her birth, her father has had barely any involvement with her. He will occasionally call and say he wants to see her, but rarely. basically, he would be one of those dads that shows up just once in a great great while and try to play daddy fora couple hours, then disappear again for months. I dont want to put my daughter through that, and I fear she would not be safe with him. I have never asked him to pay support, nor has he offered to do so. I would prefer he stay away completely then to get the money.

Do I have the legal right to deny him visitation rights of her?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
North Carolina

I live in north Carolina and have a five month old daughter. Her father and I have never been married. I do not want my daughters father involved in her life at all.

The reason for this is due mainly to his past criminal history.
The other reason why is because through out my pregnancy and now after her birth, her father has had barely any involvement with her. He will occasionally call and say he wants to see her, but rarely. basically, he would be one of those dads that shows up just once in a great great while and try to play daddy fora couple hours, then disappear again for months. I dont want to put my daughter through that, and I fear she would not be safe with him. I have never asked him to pay support, nor has he offered to do so. I would prefer he stay away completely then to get the money. [/QUOTE]

If paternity has not been established you don't have to let him visit. But if he pursues paternity/custody/visitation and proves he is biologically daddy, he will get visitation.

Do I have the legal right to deny him visitation rights of her?
Until and unless there is a court order, yes.

Last edited by a moderator:

R_in_NC

WOW! I didnt want to write a BOOK on explaining the situation on how things came about for him to be the father of my child when I find him to be the person he is now. Things are not always as the seem.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
WOW! Sorry I didnt want to write a BOOK on explaining the situation on how things came about for him to be the father of my child when I find him to be the person he is now. Things are not always as the seem.
Reasons don't matter. Unless he has been convicted of raping you when you conceived then it doesn't matter. YOU chose to let him; once he establishes paternity and gets a court order for visitation you won't be in control. His rights will be equal to yours.

sljak

Un Wed Father

I cannot understand why you would not foster a relationship between the child and the father?

You state you do not want the father in the childs life at all.

You should lose custody.

A child has a right to BOTH parents !!!

And you better have some very heavy proof of your alligations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">