• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unwed Mother - Can I move to another state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bloopy

Something I didn’t consider… OP is a teacher. Forget insurance what’s craptacular about leaving now is how bad it looks to break contract. That’s not a decision to make with placenta brain. You will have to tell future school systems why.

When is the baby due?

Do you not get what everyone here is telling you? If you want to be able to raise the child in Ohio, you had best get yourself to Ohio before the baby is born. If that baby is born in Texas, they have jurisdiction and can make the baby stay in Texas. Save yourself a headache and possibly 10's of thousands of dollars and get going before that child is born. You think you will have financial issues now. Wait til the baby is born and you are to sick to work and have to come up with thousands to fight the boyfriend in court.

If you think he can't take care of a baby because he lives on a ranch get a clue. That's what new girlfriends are for. Not to mention he could get a nanny and pay one next to nothing for room and board.

You need to quit thinking just about the next couple of months. Think long term!

Humusluvr

I understand that diabetes can become very taxing on your body while pregnant, but you are making it sound like you plan on mooching off your parents as you collect child support. Please tell us that it is “Placenta Brain” talking and you have no such intentions.
Ouch. didn't mean to make it sound that way! I plan to move NEAR them, not in with them. I will definitely go back to work, or get a new job in Ohio. I'm not someone who would ever stay home and mooch.... sooooooo not my style.

I do have "prego brain," but it is still a pretty great brain. I'm weighing all my options. thanks for everyone's suggestions, and I appreciate all the points of view.

Humusluvr

Something I didn’t consider… OP is a teacher. Forget insurance what’s craptacular about leaving now is how bad it looks to break contract. That’s not a decision to make with placenta brain. You will have to tell future school systems why.

When is the baby due?
You hit the nail on the head!

Baby is planned for Feb 20th. I will not be able to return to school to teach this year. I have 60 or so days saved up to cover my maternity leave. I could not leave for Ohio until June, after I "close the books" at the end of the school year. Otherwise, I could lose my teaching license. I'm trying so hard to plan and be careful. I would not be able to get a new job in Ohio until August of the next school year. My blessing and my curse is my long summer.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You hit the nail on the head!

Baby is planned for Feb 20th. I will not be able to return to school to teach this year. I have 60 or so days saved up to cover my maternity leave. I could not leave for Ohio until June, after I "close the books" at the end of the school year. Otherwise, I could lose my teaching license. I'm trying so hard to plan and be careful. I would not be able to get a new job in Ohio until August of the next school year. My blessing and my curse is my long summer.
Not a permanent job but you may be able to sub.... Anyone with at least a Bachelor's degree can sub in Ohio.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Nope! (on the medical insurance)

Once you've been put on medical leave, can you go to Ohio to be by your parents until the birth? I realize this is changing doctors, but it gets you with an Ohio birth certificate. Even if you have to go back to finish the school year, it gets you closer to being in Ohio instead of Texas.

Humusluvr

Nope! (on the medical insurance)

Once you've been put on medical leave, can you go to Ohio to be by your parents until the birth? I realize this is changing doctors, but it gets you with an Ohio birth certificate. Even if you have to go back to finish the school year, it gets you closer to being in Ohio instead of Texas.
THAT may be the best idea I have heard! Definitely something for me to think about!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">