• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unwed mother-custody question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

litetraveler

What is the name of your state? child born in oregon

My daughter was born in oregon, how can i begin to establish actual legal custody of her? since i wasn't married to the father, do i have any more rights? which state should i begin with in order to begin some kind of custody proceeding? do i petition oregon or my family's state (where we reside. i have my driver license and voter reg there as well)?

onebreath

Yes, that is where you file for custody and visitation with dad. You may need to do a paternity test after the child is born, you are not able to affect anything legally until after the child is born.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? child born in oregon

My daughter was born in oregon, how can i begin to establish actual legal custody of her? since i wasn't married to the father, do i have any more rights? which state should i begin with in order to begin some kind of custody proceeding? do i petition oregon or my family's state (where we reside. i have my driver license and voter reg there as well)?
HOw long have you been in the state where you reside? How long have you lived there?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yes, that is where you file for custody and visitation with dad. You may need to do a paternity test after the child is born, you are not able to affect anything legally until after the child is born.
Just which state is "that", oh breathless one? And, if you'd read OP, you'd see that the child is ALREADY born. The only remotely useful thing you told her is that she may need to have a paternity test done. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">