• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unwed mother custody rights colorado

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pbonati

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Hello, I am trying to determine what an unwed mother's rights are in Colorado with her newborn baby. Does she automatically have sole and full custody of her baby, or does the father automatically have custody rights as well?

Also, if the mother wants to keep the father from filing for custody, should she file for full custody before he does?

Thanks.:confused:

Silverplum

Hello, I am trying to determine what an unwed mother's rights are in Colorado with her newborn baby. Does she automatically have sole and full custody of her baby, or does the father automatically have custody rights as well?

Also, if the mother wants to keep the father from filing for custody, should she file for full custody before he does?

It's not a matter of who files first. :rolleyes:

Every child has the right to know both parents.

Perky

The unwed mother automatically has custody of the child. If the father wishes, he can sign the affadavit of patermity or file to establish paternity, and then file for custody/visitation. If the father wants to be a part of the child's life, he almost always has that right.

Humusluvr

Here is the link to the Paternity standards for the State of Colorado. It also has helpful info on child support. You can't stop dad from filing for Paternity/Support/Visitation.

OCSE STATE PROFILE - View Page

pbonati

Thanks. We want the father to have visitation rights, but are very concerned about taking care of the baby in a consistent manner that is best for the baby, that will be decided by the mother. So in other words, the father has to agree to do this in order to get visitation. Is that possible?

Thanks.

Isis1

Thanks. We want the father to have visitation rights, but are very concerned about taking care of the baby in a consistent manner that is best for the baby, that will be decided by the mother. So in other words, the father has to agree to do this in order to get visitation. Is that possible?

Thanks.
oh no you don't. it will be decided by the courts. not mom. dad has just as much right to parent his child as mom does. and he can do so without mom's consent. no one has the upperhand here.

the father has to agree he is dad to get his visitation. that's all. he doesn't have to agree to anything mom does.

Silverplum

Thanks.
Who is "WE" in this post???

Uh, no. Mom does not "decide" how Dad cares for his child. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Before you spout off some more misconceptions, please do READ posts here from CO and find out something about family law.

Humusluvr

Thanks.
Uhhh nope. Will be decided by the COURT. I understand wanting consistency, by you don't get to dictate nothin sister.

pbonati

For Silverplum...I am not "spouting misconceptions", I am merely trying to get information and clarification. I imagine that every situation is unique, as is ours. Believe me, this is all about what is in the best interests of the baby. I can't imagine that a judge likes the idea of two extremely different parenting styles being imposed on a baby or child - very bad for the child. The judge is looking out for the child's best interest, yes?

Silverplum

For Silverplum...I am not "spouting misconceptions", I am merely trying to get information and clarification. I imagine that every situation is unique, as is ours. Believe me, this is all about what is in the best interests of the baby. I can't imagine that a judge likes the idea of two extremely different parenting styles being imposed on a baby or child - very bad for the child. The judge is looking out for the child's best interest, yes?
Yes, you are. Many, many sad little misconceptions. I know CO family law and you don't. :rolleyes: Who do you think is spouting misconceptions? That would be you.

Until you answer, who is "WE?" there will be no help from the Colorado advisor here for you.

LdiJ

Thanks.
Yes and no. If dad does not file to establish things legally, in court, then mom is basically in charge.

However, once dad files to establish things legally in court, the court will determine the parenting schedule if the two parents cannot agree. If mom decides to file herself, the court will STILL determine the parenting schedule if the two parents cannot agree.

Silverplum

Yes and no. If dad does not file to establish things legally, in court, then mom is basically in charge.

However, once dad files to establish things legally in court, the court will determine the parenting schedule if the two parents cannot agree. If mom decides to file herself, the court will STILL determine the parenting schedule if the two parents cannot agree.
And babymomma will NOT be able to tell babydaddy HOW to care for child. :p

And "WE" do not exist. Learn it now.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If mom had a problem with dad's extreme difference then mom should have kept her legs closed, her undies on and not consented to having his penis inserted in her. Understand? Dad has just as much right as mom to parent a child. What your post is about is what MOM thinks is best for the child. Well mom's thoughts do NOT equate to child's best interest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">