• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unwed mother's rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Devotedmother

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? District of Columbia

I'm a single mother to a 7 month old infant. Her father and I are no longer together and in our pursuit to solidify a co-parenting and support plan, I learned that he has retained counsel and that I am to receive "documents" from his attorney. We separated in December 2011 and he has expressed little minimal interest in spending alone time with his daughter. I recently called him out about that and now (all of a sudden) he's interested in seeing her. I haven't received anything from his attorney and I'm very suspicious of the timing. We don't have anything legally defined. Can he take her and not return her? I need to know something ASAP as I fear the worst. :confused::confused::confused::eek:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? District of Columbia

I'm a single mother to a 7 month old infant. Her father and I are no longer together and in our pursuit to solidify a co-parenting and support plan, I learned that he has retained counsel and that I am to receive "documents" from his attorney. We separated in December 2011 and he has expressed little minimal interest in spending alone time with his daughter. I recently called him out about that and now (all of a sudden) he's interested in seeing her. I haven't received anything from his attorney and I'm very suspicious of the timing. We don't have anything legally defined. Can he take her and not return her? I need to know something ASAP as I fear the worst. :confused::confused::confused::eek:
Has paternity been established? Is he on the birth certificate? Should we assume you were not married?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">