• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unwed/newborn/custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jimmyd748

What is the name of your state? IL

Hello everyone, 27 mature male here. My sitution is, my g/f and I have been together for about 2 1/2 years, she younger,20. Our relationship hasn,t been very good, alot of arguements. Mainly because she's very immature, as she dropped out of H.S. can't hold a job more than 2 months. Most of our fights stem from me pushing her to do good for herself. She never had a stable home life, mother almost wants nothing to do with her. Her mother is an emotional wreck herself, attempted suicide in the past, my e/x witnessed it. Through our entire relationship I never seen the inside of her home due to " it's way to messy" so her and her mother say. I on the other hand I been with the same union contractor for 8 years, made foreman 2 years ago, bought my own house at 24. Very responsable in life. My family upbringing was your classic " Leave it to Beaver" house. Guess I seen her as someone who needed help. Well 2 months ago her and I had baby boy ( unplanned, so much for being responsable man huh?) Even during the pregnacy we had our arguements and as always I try to walk away before an arguements turns to a fight, but she stands at the door and won't allow me to leave, and it gets worst from there. Well last week " it" happened again. But this time she got violent, kicking, punching you name it, even in front of the baby. I was so hurt to see she could keep on like that after I begged her to stop in front of the baby like that,she had me in tears, but it didn't phase her. When she's mad she's mad and there is no reasoning with her.

That was the last straw, now that the baby is here I won't have that fighting like that, and emotionally I can't put up with it anymore either. Getting violent in front of the baby was it , I'm done with her. I would love to have custody of our son, I wouldnt think she'd mistreat him, but everyday life for him would be better with me. without her mother being there when she was young I feel there's a missing gap in her life she doesnt know about. My parents are behind me 100%. offered me to move back in if i could get custody. My mother would sit im at work. She wants to take the baby back at her house with her mother. Now " the house is fine for a baby" she says. Or she'll find somewhere else adventually to live thats better. I really need to know how hard it would be for a father to get joint custody with him living wth me and my parents home?I've heard alot of horror stories about it. And she can't afford a lawyer, are there public defenders her for sitution?

please help,
Jimmy

Jimmyd748

No no, I'm 26 for about 1 more month. She's 21 in May, she was 18. Right around Thanksgiving 2004 we had met.

Thanks for the help ;)

Jimmyd748

No not yet, tuesday I have an appointment for it. I read in order to take any legal stand paternity must be established

Zephyr

Jimmyd748 said:
No not yet, tuesday I have an appointment for it. I read in order to take any legal stand paternity must be established
well once you are determined to be the father you would be wise to retain an attorney, have the police been called to the home when she is violent?

Jimmyd748

Yes the police have been Called to remove her from my house. I never got any papers/report. So i don't know if anything has been recorded by the police.

MrsK

Let me be honest with you...

You probably have little chance of being named dom. parent. You would most likely have to prove her unfit, and even in some instances of unfitness, they still are really, REALLY reluctant to take a child away from its mother. (For example, my cousin is married to a chiro, who had a very unfit mother who had been consistently arrested for drug possession & was an admitted addict. It too my cousin's husband FOUR YEARS and over $35k to get custody of his child, despite the many police reports of her arrests).

The thing of it is that fathers just do not have equal rights that mothers do. The law would like you to believe that, but sadly its not true.

That shouldnt stop you from trying. You will just need a really, really good atty (preferably a father's rights atty) and a lot of $$. Of course, that atty, while expensive, will be cheaper than paying 18+ yrs of child support.

E

eme76

ok...i am confused about one thing here...why would you be living with your mom if you own your home:confused:

This isn't legal advice

Jimmyd748 said:
If I was granted custody I would move out of my house (rent it out) and move back to my parents.

But why on earth would you do that? To me it would seem that you were just trying to get your mother to raise your daughter rather than allowing her real mother too. I wouldn't think that would look good to the judge. You could always take the child to the daycare provider during work hours, whether it be your mother or the childs mother. (If she isn't working, and you can't prove her unfit, I can't imagine that she wouldn't be allowed to watch the child during your work hours.)

I'm with the other poster though, if you even want to have a chance at this, you need to get a really good attorney, and a much better plan than having your mommy raise your daughter for you.;)

E

eme76

Ithildriel said:
But why on earth would you do that? To me it would seem that you were just trying to get your mother to raise your daughter rather than allowing her real mother too. I wouldn't think that would look good to the judge. You could always take the child to the daycare provider during work hours, whether it be your mother or the childs mother. (If she isn't working, and you can't prove her unfit, I can't imagine that she wouldn't be allowed to watch the child during your work hours.)

I'm with the other poster though, if you even want to have a chance at this, you need to get a really good attorney, and a much better plan than having your mommy raise your daughter for you.;)

i agree too...keep your house live in it and show that you are stable, willing and able to raise her on your own...you'll have a much better shot at it
GOOD-LUCK i hope things work out for you...for your daughters sake

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">