• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unwed Pregnant 18 yr old wants to move out of state…

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

norest4BgSister

What is the name of your state? Colorado and Virginia
My kid sister just found out she is pregnant. She lives in CO, I live in VA. She wants to move out here for support since the father said he wanted her to abort and that he couldn’t deal with a child and they were over. What issues will she face. I know once the child is born he has a say in if she can leave the state but what about before? Also what state has jurisdiction over custody and child support. Is it conception state or birth state. Can she get monetary compensation for pregnancy related medical issues? How real is the fear that the fathers parents have a chance at getting her child?

Hey

norest4BgSister said:
My kid sister just found out she is pregnant. She lives in CO, I live in VA. She wants to move out here for support since the father said he wanted her to abort and that he couldn’t deal with a child and they were over. What issues will she face. I know once the child is born he has a say in if she can leave the state but what about before? Also what state has jurisdiction over custody and child support. Is it conception state or birth state. Can she get monetary compensation for pregnancy related medical issues? How real is the fear that the fathers parents have a chance at getting her child?

Im not sure what i can tell you about the state jurisdiction stuff but i can tell you that the most the fathers parents could get is visitation if they petition for it unless they can prove both the father and the mother unfit they can petition for custody....Im not a lawyer but i have issues with the whole grandparent thing with my babys mom...

Ps. Also unless paternity is established the father technically doesnt have any rights but in order for your sis to get child support i beleive paternity has to be established...plus i think its better if a child has both mother and father...
Good Luck

norest4BgSister

She fully intendts to name the father and allow him as much time as he wants with his child. I belive the state will pursue him for support and we will try to establish paternity prior to the birth. We just want to make sure no one will come and wisk her new born back to Colorado.

Also he is a fulltime student about to finish up with his 4 yr degree but he only works part time. My sister however works full time so on paper she currently makes more then him ( but barly enough to get by before the baby). Could he use that to get out of providing his share of the childs support?

He's going to have to pay support no matter what.. There are websites that if you know his income and her's you can get an idea of an amount that she might get heres virginias-http://www.alllaw.com/calculators/Childsupport/virginia/

Heres a site for colorado
http://www.courts.state.co.us/chs/court/forms/domestic/childsupportguidelines.htm

And keep in mind these calculators make an estimate...

Technically i dont see why she couldnt move because there is no child yet...How far along is she? But if she wants support i would reccomend keeping in touch with the potential father because you will have to serve him...

The same thing is in my case too I make more than the mother of my child but yet after medical deductions and things like that she would still have to pay more and pay a reasonable amount.

Hopes this helps theres not very many of the smart helpers on at this time of night but at least i could give you some general info...

Basically its like whoever has custody of the child doesnt have to pay support but if there was joint custody and each parent had the child for the same amount of time you prob. wouldnt get that much support...also if theres more than one child you get less.. My mother had 4 kids and only got 75 dollars a month for each kid...and each year we got older it went down a few dollars...

Last edited:

legalcuriosity said:
Let's clarify this, as it sounds you've been given some wrong information.

First, paternity can not be established until AFTER the child is born.
Secondly, it will be up to the woman to pursue for child support. Unless she winds up getting assistance, the state won't "pursue" the father of the child.
I believe until the child is born, the woman is free to move wherever she wants. But, this *might* factor in if the father files for visitation/custody

He will still have to financially pay his share. If he's going to school and only working part-time when the support proceedings begin, that is the income they will use. It could be possible that she could be have more financial responsibility simply based on income.

Paternity could be established before the childs born but the odds of that happening are slim to none. It is a very dangerous process that is only used in emergency situations.

Its good to have everything ready instead of putting it off until the last minute. If this is indeed what your sis wants i would research the process of getting a paternity test done and also filing for custody and support.

legalcuriosity said:
That has been mentioned on this site before in a few threads. There have been posters who've been quick to dismiss those methods because they are dangerous. I sometimes question some of the loons who post on here who'd even suggest something that is dangerous.
What type of emergencies do you think they would consider doing a pre-birth paternity test in?

LdiJ

norest4BgSister said:
Yes, she is perfectly free to move to VA before the child is born. If she really wants to move she should do so now. After the baby is born it would be much more difficult.

The state that will have jurisdiction for custody/visitation purposes will be the state where the child is born....that state will also handle child support...but its likely that the CO guidelines will be used rather than VA.

She can apply for medicaid to help her with the pregnancy...medicaid will most like require reimbursement of a portion of the expenses from the father.

The fear of the father's parents taking the child is not realistic at all, unless your sister could be proven unfit by legal standards. I hope that your sister is staying completely away from drugs and alcohol, because those are things that could demonstrate unfitness.

nextwife

George1620 said:
What type of emergencies do you think they would consider doing a pre-birth paternity test in?
If there were OTHER reasons that a CVS or amnio would be done, THEN the same material could be used to do a DNA test. A genetic likelihood of Tay Sachs, for example, based upon both mom and dad's genetic histories would be one reason some may feel a CVS test may be warranted. The appropriate risk factors would be discussed by her OB-GYN at which point she would decide upon the risk/benefit of the procedure. A test ONLY for the purposes of determining paternity is inappropriate, but, if there are reasons that a CVS may be warranted, a test can easilly be done at the same time without adding any additional risk.

LdiJ

George1620 said:
If the mother already needs amnio due to a medical issue, then a DNA test can be performed on the same samples.

LdiJ

nextwife said:
If there were OTHER reasons that a CVS or amnio would be done, THEN the same material could be used to do a DNA test. A genetic likelihood of Tay Sachs, for example, based upon both mom and dad's genetic histories would be one reason some may feel a CVS test may be warranted. The appropriate risk factors would be discussed by her OB-GYN at which point she would decide upon the risk/benefit of the procedure. A test ONLY for the purposes of determining paternity is inappropriate, but, if there are reasons that a CVS may be warranted, a test can easilly be done at the same time without adding any additional risk.
Oops...I echoed... :D

norest4BgSister

Beth, My sister, in no way plans to do a test that would put the child at risk for the sole purpose of money. The father says he will sign anything she needs him to that says he is the father but the only form I know of is presented at birth. Can this form be sign before the birth? Since he will be in Colorado and she will be in Virginia.

Some one asked how far along she was. Right now they think she is 3 months. 6 weeks ago she went to the Dr. with nausea, fevers and exhaustion and they told her she had IBS and gave her some pills. After a while even she knew she was pregnant. She will not know the exact gestation until her ultrasound tomorrow

Thanks for all the info

norest4BgSister

Beth, My sister, in no way plans to do a test that would put the child at risk for the sole purpose of money. The father says he will sign anything she needs him to that says he is the father but the only form I know of is presented at birth. Can this form be sign before the birth? Since he will be in Colorado and she will be in Virginia.

Some one asked how far along she was. Right now they think she is 3 months. 6 weeks ago she went to the Dr. with nausea, fevers and exhaustion and they told her she had IBS and gave her some pills. After a while even she knew she was pregnant. She will not know the exact gestation until her ultrasound tomorrow

Thanks for all the info

I assume your talking about the birth certificate itself. I would not have him sign that since technically until the paternity is established hes not the father. I would just wait until she has the child, file the right papers to establish paternity, which you could also set up custody visitation and child support all at the same time and everything could be court ordered and official, I petitioned for custody of my one year old daughter because her mom ditched out on her and the papers were fairly easy but i would recommend consulting with a lawyer you could prob find one that would take a glance at your case for free and lead you in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">